Re: [scbwi-houston] Re: Linda Leschak

  • anna church
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
      My prayers are with her and her family!
      Anna Church

      From: Erin <erin2frankel@...>
      To: "scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com" <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [scbwi-houston] Re: Linda Leschak

      My heartfelt prayers to everyone during this time of sadness.
      Love
      Erin Frankel

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 28, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "Doris" <abcdoris@...> wrote:

      Sadly I did not know Linda, but a children's writer is so very precious to many people. I hope the family has warm memories to comfort them during this time of sadness.

      Doris Fisher

    • Ana Maria Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
      • Maria Ashworth
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
          I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

          Sent from my iPad
        • joypreble
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
            I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
            Joy Preble
            --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

            > To all,
            >
            > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
            > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
            > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
            > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
            > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
            >
            > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
            > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
            > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
            >
            > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
            > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
            > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
            > writing from Vermont College.
            >
            > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
            > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
            > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
            > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
            >
            > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
            > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
            > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
            >
            > Vicki Sansum
            > vsansum@...

          • Mr. and Mrs. Haskell Rosenthal
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
              We are saddened by this news.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this most difficult time.
              Judy and Haskell

              On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:39 PM, joypreble wrote:

              I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
              Joy Preble

              --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

              > To all,
              >
              > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
              > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
              > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
              > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
              > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
              >
              > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
              > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
              > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
              >
              > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
              > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
              > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
              > writing from Vermont College.
              >
              > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
              > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
              > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
              > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
              >
              > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
              > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
              > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
              >
              > Vicki Sansum
              > vsansum@...

            • Chantee Hale
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013

                She will be missed.

                Chantee Hale
                Member, SCBWI, RWA, & YALitChat.
                Check me out on your mobile or at home at www.chanteehale.com

              • Jessica Capelle
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Wow. I am so sad to hear this news. She was a lovely person and very encouraging other writers. She will be missed.

                  Vicki, your words were a wonderful tribute.

                  -Jessica

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • Yahoo!
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                    I will text u address info

                    Tina

                    On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:35 PM, Maria  Ashworth <mashworth113@...> wrote:

                    I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

                    Sent from my iPad

                  • Aileen Kirkham
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 30, 2013

                      Aileen Kirkham
                      Author, Educator & Storyteller

                      281.357.1192

                      Cell 713.828.0544
                      bamaaileen@...
                      www.aileenkirkham.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                        Here's Linda's obituary from today's Chronicle:

                        Lynne

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                          Working with Linda on the Houston conference gave me an
                          appreciation for her willing spirit and her organization skills.
                          Knowing Linda as she battled cancer gave me a new perspective on
                          life. She met each challenge of her illness with optimism,
                          determination and a touch of humor. Her memory will be kept close to
                          my heart.
                          For those of you who wish to send a card to her loving husband,
                          son and daughter, please email me for the address.

                          Millie Theis Martin, Ph. D.
                          ARA, Houston SCBWI
                          713.822.5285
                          millieTmartin@...

                          You can tell the deepest truths with the lies of fiction.
                          — Isabel Allende