Re: [scbwi-houston] Linda Leschak

  • Kathy Duval
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
      Oh, my. I'm so shocked and sad. Linda was such a positive, delightful person. I didn't know her well, but enjoyed each time I had the chance to talk to her. I was struck by how willing she was to help others. She will truly be missed by many. Kathy

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Vicki Sansum <vsansum@...> wrote:

      To all,

      It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
      dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
      diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
      fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
      knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.

      She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
      in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
      person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.

      I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
      She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
      fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
      writing from Vermont College.

      Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
      conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
      task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
      I loved her for sharing that talent with us.

      Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
      and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
      know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.

      Vicki Sansum
      vsansum@...

      --
      Visit me at kathyduval.com!
    • anna church
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
        My prayers are with her and her family!
        Anna Church

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
        • Maria Ashworth
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
            I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

            Sent from my iPad
          • joypreble
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
              I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
              Joy Preble
              --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

              > To all,
              >
              > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
              > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
              > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
              > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
              > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
              >
              > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
              > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
              > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
              >
              > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
              > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
              > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
              > writing from Vermont College.
              >
              > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
              > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
              > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
              > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
              >
              > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
              > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
              > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
              >
              > Vicki Sansum
              > vsansum@...

            • Mr. and Mrs. Haskell Rosenthal
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                We are saddened by this news.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this most difficult time.
                Judy and Haskell

                On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:39 PM, joypreble wrote:

                I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
                Joy Preble

                --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

                > To all,
                >
                > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
                > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
                > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
                > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
                > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
                >
                > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
                > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
                > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
                >
                > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
                > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
                > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
                > writing from Vermont College.
                >
                > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
                > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
                > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
                > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
                >
                > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
                > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
                > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
                >
                > Vicki Sansum
                > vsansum@...

              • Chantee Hale
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013

                  She will be missed.

                  Chantee Hale
                  Member, SCBWI, RWA, & YALitChat.
                  Check me out on your mobile or at home at www.chanteehale.com

                • Jessica Capelle
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Wow. I am so sad to hear this news. She was a lovely person and very encouraging other writers. She will be missed.

                    Vicki, your words were a wonderful tribute.

                    -Jessica

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Yahoo!
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                      I will text u address info

                      Tina

                      On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:35 PM, Maria  Ashworth <mashworth113@...> wrote:

                      I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

                      Sent from my iPad

                    • Aileen Kirkham
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 30, 2013

                        Aileen Kirkham
                        Author, Educator & Storyteller

                        281.357.1192

                        Cell 713.828.0544
                        bamaaileen@...
                        www.aileenkirkham.com

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                          Here's Linda's obituary from today's Chronicle:

                          Lynne

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                            Working with Linda on the Houston conference gave me an
                            appreciation for her willing spirit and her organization skills.
                            Knowing Linda as she battled cancer gave me a new perspective on
                            life. She met each challenge of her illness with optimism,
                            determination and a touch of humor. Her memory will be kept close to
                            my heart.
                            For those of you who wish to send a card to her loving husband,
                            son and daughter, please email me for the address.

                            Millie Theis Martin, Ph. D.
                            ARA, Houston SCBWI
                            713.822.5285
                            millieTmartin@...

                            You can tell the deepest truths with the lies of fiction.
                            — Isabel Allende