Linda Leschak

  • Vicki Sansum
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
      To all,

      It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
      dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
      diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
      fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
      knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.

      She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
      in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
      person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.

      I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
      She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
      fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
      writing from Vermont College.

      Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
      conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
      task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
      I loved her for sharing that talent with us.

      Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
      and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
      know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.

      Vicki Sansum
      vsansum@...
    • Sara Joiner
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
        This is such sad news. Her family and friends will be in my prayers.

        Vicki, what a lovely tribute to Linda.

        Sara K Joiner

        --
        Sara K Joiner
        children's librarian & aspiring writer
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013

          I am shocked and saddened to hear of Linda’s passing. I wish I had had a chance to know her better. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. How tragic.

          Varsha

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
            Oh my.  I didn't know who Vicki was talking about because I didn't know Linda by name.  Then I found her web page on Google and a knife went through my chest when I saw her picture.

            Yes.  I knew her.  I knew her smile, the sound of her voice, her kindness.  I knew that spunky hairstyle that only SHE could wear so cutely and get away with it. :)

            I knew her, and I'm so sad.  Today as I write, I will do so with her on my mind.  My thoughts and prayers are with her immediately family and ours, SCBWI-Houston.

            Crystal

[...]

          • Tayyba Kanwal
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
              You truly touched us all Linda. It was not so long ago that we had your smile and energy radiating among us even as you fought to hold on to it. May peace be with you.

              Tayyba
            • Christina Mandelski
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                Oh my, heartbreaking is right. So sorry for the family, and for our chapter. What a terrible loss.

                xo,
                Chris

                THE SWEETEST THING a young adult novel about love, loss and cake.
                Egmont USA
                www.christinamandelski.com

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                  I was shocked and saddened to read Vicki's email. It was a beautiful tribute to a lovely lady. Lina had spunk and spark and brought energy to anything she tackled. Yes, she did a fabulous job chairing the conference and I got to know her a little better at the Darcy Pattison Workshop. I will remember her as being passionate about her writing. My prayers will be with her family at this time of loss.
                  Peggy Shallock

                • <kathygw@...>
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Linda. It brings home the precious nature of each and every minute and day.
                    Kathy Whitehead
                    ---- Vicki Sansum <vsansum@...> wrote:
                    > To all,
                    >
                    > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
                    > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
                    > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
                    > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
                    > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
                    >
                    > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
                    > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
                    > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
                    >
                    > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
                    > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
                    > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
                    > writing from Vermont College.
                    >
                    > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
                    > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
                    > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
                    > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
                    >
                    > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
                    > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
                    > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
                    >
                    > Vicki Sansum
                    > vsansum@...

                  • ROSSLYN KANU
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                      This is sad news for us all.  My heartfelt prayers to her close families and love ones.
                      Rosslyn Kanu.

[...]

                      mailto:vsansum%40earthlink.net

                    • Doris
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                        Sadly I did not know Linda, but a children's writer is so very precious to many people. I hope the family has warm memories to comfort them during this time of sadness.

                        Doris Fisher
                      • Erin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                          My heartfelt prayers to everyone during this time of sadness.
                          Love
                          Erin Frankel

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Jan 28, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "Doris" <abcdoris@...> wrote:

                          Sadly I did not know Linda, but a children's writer is so very precious to many people. I hope the family has warm memories to comfort them during this time of sadness.

                          Doris Fisher

                        • Kathy Duval
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                            Oh, my. I'm so shocked and sad. Linda was such a positive, delightful person. I didn't know her well, but enjoyed each time I had the chance to talk to her. I was struck by how willing she was to help others. She will truly be missed by many. Kathy

[...]

                            Visit me at kathyduval.com!
                          • anna church
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                              My prayers are with her and her family!
                              Anna Church

                              My heartfelt prayers to everyone during this time of sadness.
                              Love
                              Erin Frankel

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Jan 28, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "Doris" <abcdoris@...> wrote:

                              Sadly I did not know Linda, but a children's writer is so very precious to many people. I hope the family has warm memories to comfort them during this time of sadness.

                              Doris Fisher

                            • Ana Maria Rodriguez
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                              • Maria Ashworth
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                                  I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

                                  Sent from my iPad
                                • joypreble
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                                    I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
                                    Joy Preble
                                    --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

                                    > To all,
                                    >
                                    > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
                                    > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
                                    > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
                                    > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
                                    > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
                                    >
                                    > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
                                    > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
                                    > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
                                    >
                                    > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
                                    > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
                                    > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
                                    > writing from Vermont College.
                                    >
                                    > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
                                    > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
                                    > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
                                    > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
                                    >
                                    > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
                                    > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
                                    > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
                                    >
                                    > Vicki Sansum
                                    > vsansum@...

                                  • Mr. and Mrs. Haskell Rosenthal
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 28, 2013
                                      We are saddened by this news.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this most difficult time.
                                      Judy and Haskell

                                      On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:39 PM, joypreble wrote:

                                      I am shocked and saddened. Honestly I can't get my head around it. Linda was so vibrant and always full of life. I am sorry that iI did not known she was battling cancer and devastated to hear this news. But thank you, Vickie for your message that celebrated her life.
                                      Joy Preble

                                      --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Sansum wrote:

                                      > To all,
                                      >
                                      > It is with a broken heart that I have to tell you that one of our
                                      > dearest Houston members, Linda Leschak, passed away yesterday. She was
                                      > diagnosed with cancer last July and these past months fought a good
                                      > fight against this disease. For those of you who had the honor of
                                      > knowing Linda, you know what a wonderful person she was.
                                      >
                                      > She was funny, intelligent and a bright light in this world. She grew up
                                      > in Northern California on her family's ranch so she was an out-doorsy
                                      > person who loved swimming, kayaking and hiking. She also taught yoga.
                                      >
                                      > I first met her several years ago at the Los Angeles SCBWI conference.
                                      > She had just joined the organization and was working on a young adult
                                      > fantasy novel and also wrote poetry. Linda had a degree in creative
                                      > writing from Vermont College.
                                      >
                                      > Linda jumped into volunteering with both feet. She co-chaired our 2012
                                      > conference and I remember that each time I emailed her to ask about a
                                      > task that needed to be done, she said "I'll do it." She loved a project,
                                      > I loved her for sharing that talent with us.
                                      >
                                      > Linda leaves behind her dear husband, Ron, her adult daughter, Holly,
                                      > and her son, Ronnie who is a freshman at Stephen F. Austin University. I
                                      > know all of us who loved Linda will miss her deeply.
                                      >
                                      > Vicki Sansum
                                      > vsansum@...

                                    • Chantee Hale
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013

                                        She will be missed.

                                        Chantee Hale
                                        Member, SCBWI, RWA, & YALitChat.
                                        Check me out on your mobile or at home at www.chanteehale.com

                                      • Jessica Capelle
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                                          Wow. I am so sad to hear this news. She was a lovely person and very encouraging other writers. She will be missed.

                                          Vicki, your words were a wonderful tribute.

                                          -Jessica

                                          Sent from my iPhone
                                        • Yahoo!
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 29, 2013
                                            I will text u address info

                                            Tina

                                            On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:35 PM, Maria  Ashworth <mashworth113@...> wrote:

                                            I only met Linda for my first time last month. I knew she did a lot for SCBWI. We so appreciated her time served. she will be missed. My heart goes out to her family. Is there an address to send condolences?

                                            Sent from my iPad

                                          • Aileen Kirkham
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 30, 2013

                                              Aileen Kirkham
                                              Author, Educator & Storyteller

                                              281.357.1192

                                              Cell 713.828.0544
                                              bamaaileen@...
                                              www.aileenkirkham.com

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                                                Here's Linda's obituary from today's Chronicle:

                                                Lynne

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 31, 2013
                                                  Working with Linda on the Houston conference gave me an
                                                  appreciation for her willing spirit and her organization skills.
                                                  Knowing Linda as she battled cancer gave me a new perspective on
                                                  life. She met each challenge of her illness with optimism,
                                                  determination and a touch of humor. Her memory will be kept close to
                                                  my heart.
                                                  For those of you who wish to send a card to her loving husband,
                                                  son and daughter, please email me for the address.

                                                  Millie Theis Martin, Ph. D.
                                                  ARA, Houston SCBWI
                                                  713.822.5285
                                                  millieTmartin@...

                                                  You can tell the deepest truths with the lies of fiction.
                                                  — Isabel Allende