Hiring an Illustrator: The Self-Publishing Volume

  • diandramae
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2013
      Illustrator Dani Jones is not only talented, she is a shoot-straight-from-the-hip kind of person. I appreciate that very much. She wrote an article about hiring an illustrator in 2009 that is pretty well-known. <http://danidraws.com/2009/01/22/how-to-find-an-illustrator-for-your-picture-book/>

      Now, she has written a follow-up post addressing hiring an illustrator for self-publishing:

      <http://danidraws.com/2013/01/12/how-to-find-an-illustrator-for-your-picture-book-part-2-the-self-publishing-edition/>

      "The riskiest move you can make for the success of your book (especially children's books) is to hire a cheap illustrator. Illustration is often the first thing your audience sees about your book. People will judge the quality and investment put into the book based on the art. If you want to avoid risk, the art is not the place to make sacrifices. If you are able to find an illustrator who works for cheap, you will probably get what you pay for."

      Please share among your writers' groups and colleagues. This is information that needs to get out there.

      Diandra Mae
      SCBWI-Houston
      Illustrator Coordinator
      -------------------------------
      Stay Informed! http://scbwihoustonart.blogspot.com/
      The Unofficial Gallery: http://scbwicontest.blogspot.com
      Website: http://diandramae.com
      Email: scbwi.hic@...
    • JoAn Watson Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        Thanks, Diandra, for the illustrator info.

        I am publishing Pine Cones and Magnolia Blossoms as an e book which
        will be distributed through all the usual e book channels (Amazon, B &
        N, etc.) I need to furnish the cover. I only need one picture for a
        Middle Grade historical novel. I have budgeted $200. I like the
        realistic historical style of art.
        My website will give an artist an idea: www.joanwmartin.com
        If an illustrator is interested, please e mail me and I can send you
        more info.

        Plot Summary:

        Pine Cones & Magnolia Blossoms is set in 1940s with the premise: not
        as much separates blacks and whites as we thought. Think The Help for
        two eleven-year-old girls. Sarah Sue, white, and Princetta, black,
        live in a S.Alabama town, just before World War II. Sarah Sue has no
        awareness of people living in difficult circumstances until she
        becomes friends with Princetta, the daughter of their black cook.
        Sarah Sue dares anything for fun, instigating escapades that get both
        girls into trouble. Tension mounts as prejudice and bigotry intrude on
        their adventures and come to a head when a cross is burned in
        Princetta’s front yard. When Sarah Sue hears Eleanor Roosevelt speak
        at Princetta’s church, she recognizes the skewed injustices and feels
        compelled to question the status quo.

        I visualize: white girl sitting
        in a porch swing, black girl sweeping porch
        background church with columns
        cross burning in front of dilapidated house
        pine trees & magnolia trees around the edges
        Not all of this, just pick and choose????

        Thanks, JoAn

        JoAn Watson Martin
        2407 Kilgore Rd.
        Baytown TX 77520
        281 427-2713
        josbook@...
        www.joanwmartin.com
      • ctbkaty@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013

          Your book sounds very interesting JoAn. You write historical fiction so well.

          Carmen

        • Felicia
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
            Hey,

            I don't know if I have missed an email about this because I am having major computer issues.

            I have planned on attending this on Saturday, but I am still waiting to hear where it will be. I am concerned about the weather. I don't want to drive two hours to be outside in this unpredictable weather that we have been having.

            Look forward to hearing from you soon.

            Thanks,
            Felicia Lilley