Re: Book donation

  • JoAn Watson Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2012
      I'm with Debbie Frontiera. I review newly published books. Some of the
      PODs and self-published are much better than the Big Six
      publishers or regionals output. In this era of closed to submissions,
      I thought we had begun to accept the fact that self-published is the
      only
      option.

      Another question: when an author sets up her/his own publishing
      company, where does that rank? Just my opinion.
      Are paperback picture books okay for donation?

      JoAn

      JoAn Watson Martin
      2407 Kilgore Rd.
      Baytown TX 77520
      josbook@...
      www.joanwmartin.com
    • Vicki Sansum
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
        I'm not sure why SCBWI headquarters posted these particular
        specifications for the book donations, but we need to abide by them. It
        may have something to do with ease in cataloging the books in the
        library. I think hardbacks would be the best in this situation.
        Thanks,
        Vicki
      • millie martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
          I think Linn and Steve's statement and SCBWI's policy on
          self-published books is not meant to be a judgment statement about all
          self-published books. Being published by a major publisher does not
          guarantee the quality of a book, nor does being self-published mean
          that a book is not of high quality. It simply means one has been
          selected by an editor.

          I assume that published versus self-published is determined by the
          same list of publishers used to meet PAL status.

          Since the note didn't exclude paperback PBs, I think they would be okay.

          Best wishes,

          Millie Theis Martin, Ph. D.
          ARA, Houston SCBWI
          713.822.5285
          millieTmartin@...

          You can tell the deepest truths with the lies of fiction.
          — Isabel Allende