Re: [scbwi-houston] Book donation

  • Deborah Frontiera
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2012
      What's with the "no self-published books, please" ?????
      Debbie Frontiera

      On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Vicki Sansum <vsansum@...> wrote:
      Hi all,
      Below is a message from the SCBWI headquarters in Los Angeles. SCBWI is
      collecting picture books for the Sandy Hook, CT school. If you would
      like to donate a new picture book, we will collect them at our Monday
      January 7 meeting. Then we will mail them to Sandy Hook. The purpose of
      this book drive is to send them high-quality, new picture books, so
      these can be by our members or they can be favorites that you or your
      children enjoy.
      Thanks,
      Vicki
      vsansum@...

      Here is the message from SCBWI:

      Hi everyone,

      I know we are all heartsick about the killings that have taken place in
      Newtown. In the face of a tragedy such as this, we all want to help yet
      don’t know how we can contribute. SCBWI has been in touch with Francine
      Morlando, a former member who lives in a neighboring community.
      Francine has spoken with the Newtown Fire Department and asked how we
      can help. They told her that they are in desperate need of picture
      books for the kids who will be returning to school after the new year.
      The community is moving out of Sandy Hook Elementary and setting up a
      temporary elementary school location at the middle school, and since
      they are not moving the library, they will need picture books to stock
      their temporary library. I said we would help take care of that need.

      We here at the main office will be sending 100 new picture books
      published this year. If your region would like to contribute, you can
      gather new, appropriate high-quality picture books over the holiday (no
      self-published books please). They asked that we send the books after
      the first of the year. We will send you an email after January 2 with
      specific directions on where to send the books. Francine is willing to
      receive them and take them directly to the school or fire station,
      unless they want them mailed directly. We don’t need to overwhelm them
      with quantity, but supplying a library of great books for these children
      who have seen such terror will certainly help in their recovery.

      Stay tuned for directions. In the meantime, may we all have a peaceful
      holiday.

      Lin and Steve

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          scbwi-houston-digest@yahoogroups.com
          scbwi-houston-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • JoAn Watson Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2012
        I'm with Debbie Frontiera. I review newly published books. Some of the
        PODs and self-published are much better than the Big Six
        publishers or regionals output. In this era of closed to submissions,
        I thought we had begun to accept the fact that self-published is the
        only
        option.

        Another question: when an author sets up her/his own publishing
        company, where does that rank? Just my opinion.
        Are paperback picture books okay for donation?

        JoAn

        JoAn Watson Martin
        2407 Kilgore Rd.
        Baytown TX 77520
        josbook@...
        www.joanwmartin.com
      • Vicki Sansum
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
          I'm not sure why SCBWI headquarters posted these particular
          specifications for the book donations, but we need to abide by them. It
          may have something to do with ease in cataloging the books in the
          library. I think hardbacks would be the best in this situation.
          Thanks,
          Vicki
        • millie martin
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
            I think Linn and Steve's statement and SCBWI's policy on
            self-published books is not meant to be a judgment statement about all
            self-published books. Being published by a major publisher does not
            guarantee the quality of a book, nor does being self-published mean
            that a book is not of high quality. It simply means one has been
            selected by an editor.

            I assume that published versus self-published is determined by the
            same list of publishers used to meet PAL status.

            Since the note didn't exclude paperback PBs, I think they would be okay.

            Best wishes,

            Millie Theis Martin, Ph. D.
            ARA, Houston SCBWI
            713.822.5285
            millieTmartin@...

            You can tell the deepest truths with the lies of fiction.
            — Isabel Allende