How to get images to show up in Kindle book

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012

      Hi all,

      Wish I were on my way to the holiday meeting, but the guys installing my new carpet are running way behind schedule. L I was hoping to pick the brains of some of you who have created Kindle books that have images inside. I read lots of ebook how-to’s, and I followed all the instructions I could find about images on Kindle’s website… but alas, not a single image shows up in the preview no matter which options I try. All I get are little camera placeholders.

      So what am I doing wrong?

      The images are jpgs. They are color and high resolution (300 dpi at the size I used in the document). I placed them using Word’s “Insert/Picture” option. I selected each one and verified that it is compressed and that I selected the “Screen” (150 ppi)” compression and applied it to all images. I saved the docx to a doc and then to a filtered html. I tried docx to html, too. (There is apparently no difference except the doc file is enormous compared to the docx—the html file is the same size.)

      When I view the html file, the images are there. But when I upload to Kindle, they are gone.

      On my website, I have to upload the images into a folder and then insert code to tell it where to find them. I don’t see anywhere on the Kindle upload site for images other than the cover.

      I also discovered that tabs are handled differently in iPad/Iphone Kindle apps versus Kindle Fire and Kindle regular. I tried some paragraphs with no tab or spaces, just “TEXT1paragraph markTEXT2,” The Kindle converter inserts a tab after the paragraph mark in iPad and iPhone and old Kindle, but NOT in Kindle Fire. So in Kindle Fire, the text is hard to read. So I inserted 3 spaces after my paragraph marks. This give the Fire a 3-space “tab” of sorts and the others have 3 space plus a tab which doesn’t look too bad.

      But this interior image issue is one I HAVE to solve for this book! Please email me offlist if you have a suggestion. I don’t want to clog the list with too much geek-speak!

      PS Has anyone successfully gotten Amazon to pay to a paypal account instead of a bank? The company I’m doing this for wants to use a paypal account instead of giving me their routing number. But all I see on Kindle is check or EFT.

      Happy holiday party everyone!

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson