NASA art contest needs judges

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2012

      For those not following my tweets:

      Hey artists, NASA needs your help! They need judges for a student space art contest. See "Call for Judges" by next Mon: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/humansinspaceart/.

      I’ve volunteered in the literary arts category for ages 10-13. The contest is for students up to age 18. I judged the stories and poems and essays (all lumped into literary arts) two years ago, and it was my recommendation to separate out the non-native English entries, which they have now done! But there aren’t many entries to literary arts, most of the contest is for visual, animation, etc. They esp. want people to help judge manga this year. If you can judge manga, be sure to tell them in the comments on your judge form.

      The timeframe for judging is next week through the end of January (I think). They send you to a place online to download the entries for your assigned category.

      NASA displayed the art winners in Building 2 last year during all the final shuttle press events, and they post them on their website link above—they also encourage sponsors to publish them. I don’t think they do anything with the short stories and essays and poems so far. Maybe SCBWI would like to work out an arrangement to print the winners on our website (and the art winners, too)? That would be great for the kids and SCBWI, especially if we get more of our members to be judges! I know the NASA organizers (they are here at JSC) and can help work this out if our chapter is interested.

      To the stars,

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson