Question Regarding Multiple Submissions to Publishers

  • susie_mccauley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2012
      Hi All,

      I know that multiple submissions to agents are standard (even if the agents would rather they not be.) What about novel submissions to publishers?

      I have found two publisher accepting novels that are in the same category as my manuscript; however, both say the will not accept simultaneous submissions. Do I need to decide between the two, or do I submit to both? On the highly unlikely chance they are both interested, what happens?

      Thanks!

      Susie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2012

        I’d stay away from publishers who ask for exclusives. Why tie up your manuscript for all those months?

        Are you subbing to agents? If you are, it’s not a good idea to sub the same manuscript to publishers too. If you send it to too many publishers, the agent will consider it “shopped” and won’t feel she can represent it successfully.

        ~d

        Dotti Enderle

        www.dottienderle.com

        I know that multiple submissions to agents are standard (even if the agents would rather they not be.) What about novel submissions to publishers?

        I have found two publisher accepting novels that are in the same category as my manuscript; however, both say the will not accept simultaneous submissions. Do I need to decide between the two, or do I submit to both? On the highly unlikely chance they are both interested, what happens?

        Thanks!

        Susie

        No virus found in this message.

      • Deborah Frontiera
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2012
          My two cents:
          Since most publishers don't even bother to send form rejections any more, I pretty much ignore the "no multiple submissions" stuff and send things out to more than one place. That anyone should be so lucky as to have 2 offers at once!
          If you really want to follow their "no multiple", then send to one but put a LIMIT on the amount of time they have it exclusively. Something like: "This submission is exclusive for a period of 2 months from the date of this letter." Then you are free to send to the other in 2 months even if you have not heard from the first.
          Debbie Frontiera