Re: [scbwi-houston] Writer's Magazines

  • Janet Fox
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
      Hi Wendy -

      Mary is a fount of knowledge! And she's right - it depends on what you're looking for. If you want craft-based information, Children's Writer is one of the best. If you want to find editors and agents, I'm impressed with Insider (among others; I routinely scan the blogosphere, no subscription necessary).

      Of course, to really understand either craft or industry there's no better resource than an SCBWI conference.

      hugs - Janet

      --
      Janet Fox
      PO Box 2524

      Coming fall 2012 from Speak/Penguin: Sirens, a YA noire romance set in 1925
      Forgiven (Speak 2011), & Faithful (Speak 2010) YA novels of romance, mystery and adventure
      Get Organized Without Losing It (Free Spirit Pub, 2006), self-help for kids

    • Ana Maria Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
      • marydwade@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
          Janet,

          A shoutout to you for being a finalist for Women Writing the West!

          Marydw

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
            Awe, Mary, thanks!! I'm pretty excited. :)

          • kathygw@suddenlink.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
              That is exciting news Janet!
              Kathy Whitehead
              ---- Janet Fox <janetfox3@...> wrote:
              > Awe, Mary, thanks!! I'm pretty excited. :)
              >
              > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM, <marydwade@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > **
              > > Janet,
              > >
              > > A shoutout to you for being a finalist for Women Writing the West!
              > >
              > > Marydw
              > >
              > > In a message dated 8/17/2012 10:26:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              > > janetfox3@... writes:
              > >

              > > Hi Wendy -
              > >
              > > Mary is a fount of knowledge! And she's right - it depends on what you're
              > > looking for. If you want craft-based information, Children's Writer is one
              > > of the best. If you want to find editors and agents, I'm impressed with
              > > Insider (among others; I routinely scan the blogosphere, no subscription
              > > necessary).
              > >
              > > Of course, to really understand either craft or industry there's no better
              > > resource than an SCBWI conference.
              > >
              > > hugs - Janet
              > >

              > > --
              > > Janet Fox
              > > PO Box 2524
              > > Livingston, MT 59047
              > > 406-577-6982
              > > *
              > > *
              > > *Coming fall 2012 from Speak/Penguin: Sirens, a YA noire romance set in
              > > 1925 *
              > > *Forgiven (Speak 2011), & Faithful (Speak 2010) YA novels of romance,
              > > mystery and adventure*
              > > *Get Organized Without Losing It (Free Spirit Pub, 2006), self-help for
              > > kids*
              > > *www.janetsfox.com, www.kidswriterjfox.blogspot.com, AuthorJanetFox<https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJanetFox?ref=ts>
              > > , http://about.me/janetfox *
              > >

              > --
              > Janet Fox
              > PO Box 2524
              > Livingston, MT 59047
              > 406-577-6982
              > *
              > *
              > *Coming fall 2012 from Speak/Penguin: Sirens, a YA noire romance set in
              > 1925 *
              > *Forgiven (Speak 2011), & Faithful (Speak 2010) YA novels of romance,
              > mystery and adventure*
              > *Get Organized Without Losing It (Free Spirit Pub, 2006), self-help for kids
              > *
              > *www.janetsfox.com, www.kidswriterjfox.blogspot.com,
              > AuthorJanetFox<https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJanetFox?ref=ts>
              > , http://about.me/janetfox *
            • Janet Fox
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
                Thanks, Kathy! :)

                Janet S. Fox
                PO Box 2524
                Livingston MT 59047
                406-577-6982
                http://www.janetsfox.com
                http://www.kidswriterjfox.blogspot.com
                Author of "Faithful" (Speak/Penguin Group, 2010; 2011 Amelia Bloomer List), and "Forgiven" (2011, a JLG Selection), YA novels  of romance and mystery, and "Get Organized Without Losing It" (Free Spirit Publishing, 2006). Find me on Facebook

              • Erin

                      Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2012
                        Congrats! Keep writing!
                        Hugs
                        Anna Church

                        Message 10 of 15 , Aug 18, 2012
                          Thanks to all who put in their two cents on the two writers’ magazines I mentioned. If anyone else has a thought I’d like to hear it, but I appreciate the information I’ve gotten to this point.

                          Also, congrats to all who are out there “getting’ it done.”

                          Best,

                          Wendy
                        • Rosenthal
                          Message 11 of 15 , Aug 18, 2012
                            Special thanks to Diandra Mae for her exceptionally wonderful workshop
                            for illustrators. It was most helpful!
                            Thanks again for your hard work in putting this together.
                            Haskell and Judy Saks Rosenthal
                          • McCourt Thomas
                            Message 12 of 15 , Aug 18, 2012
                              Yes -cheers to Diandra!

                              She was so great to spend her Saturday sharing her wealth of knowledge about picture books and illustration. It was a fun and informative workshop. We have such talented illustrators in SCBWI Houston! I am always in awe of y'all's abilities.

                              Thanks again Diandra!
                              McCourt
                            • Arlene Graziano
                              Message 13 of 15 , Aug 19, 2012
                                One of the high points of the workshop for me, was sharing favorite books from our childhood. I had completely forgotten about a book called "We Were Tired of Living In a House". (auth. Liesel Moak Skorpen/illus. Doris (Doe)Burn.) My siblings and I actually fought for possession of this book, stealing it from each others' rooms and hiding so we could look at the pictures.

                                I looked for it this AM to see if I can find a copy and found it has been reprinted with another illustrator- but that won't do!

                                While searching for the original, I found the obituary of the illustrator.

                                Her story is amazing- as the divorced mother of 4, she began her illustration career in the late 1950's while raising her kids on an Waldron Island in the Pacific Northwest. She had no electricity or running water and worked by kerosene light. (Again, 1950's- not 1850's.... as I keep telling my son, I'm not that old...)She had borrowed $500 dollars from a friend to take her portfolio to New York City. She also authored several books, some that I remember reading, including The Summerfolk.

                                We Were Tired of Living in a House was published in 1969. My siblings and probably read it in the early 70's and I doubt our copy has survived moves, marriages and barn storage. But, just in case, I'm going to bug my sister and see if she was the last one to take it.

                                So to the illustrator who brought it -thank you for sharing it! And joy in your journey!

                                a.g.
                                PS. This website has some images of the book which was line art with spot color

                                http://readmeastorynow.blogspot.com/2011/06/we-were-tired-of-living-in-house.html

                                --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Rosenthal <JHIR@...> wrote:

                                > Special thanks to Diandra Mae for her exceptionally wonderful workshop
                                > for illustrators. It was most helpful!
                                > Thanks again for your hard work in putting this together.
                                > Haskell and Judy Saks Rosenthal

                              • anna church
                                Message 14 of 15 , Aug 19, 2012
                                  Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a great determined lady.
                                  Anna Church