FB or blog or both?

  • cherie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
      My new children's book will be shipping next week from the warehouse, so available everywhere soon. Trying to figure out how to send the word without piling them on my friends' heads, especially after the comment a few weeks ago "That's your NEW book? I've been hearing about THAT one for years!" OUCH!  Yes, it takes a L-O-N-G time to birth those babies..... Any ideas? I found this article on using FB (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why_most_facebook_marketing_doesnt_work.php), but also want some proven winners from you guys.
      c:

    • Lynne Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
        The last part of that article is more about what you'd do with a FB author page; you can use it to announce your news, link to your blog posts, and post other information that your readers will be interested in. It doesn't cost anything and it's low-maintenance, so there's no reason not to do it. You'll reach an audience that might not know about you otherwise.

        Lynne

      • arlene.graziano@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2012
          Cherie,

          Congratulations on your book!

          In my opinion, Twitter is really good for making announcements. I like to get a nice tweet when something new is on someone's Facebook page or on their blog.

          I have have started relying more on info that comes to me, rather than going out to so many different blogs and Facebook just annoys me because you have to work so hard to pick out the chunks of info from the format.

          Not to sound like a Twitter salesperson, but I get a lot of interesting links to blogs from people who re-tweet. It seems like an easy way to reach a larger audience, that is, if you are tweeting to people that have a large group of followers. (I personally follow few, tweet little,)

          I also pay more attention to blogs that have an RSS feed, because I can just subscribe to the feed, then scan it on my browser to see if there is anything I want to read.

          I don't think you can avoid doing both Facebook and blog- but wait there's more.... I just Googled my husband who has published some technical books, to see what he is using for marketing these days- He has web presence on LinkedIn, YouTube, two personal websites, 3 organizations, SlideShare, Amazon, Goodreads and Twitter. I'm sure there are other things, but I didn't go past the first page of results.

          Arlene
        • Bridgette Mongeon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2012
            Definitely both and I would add twitter to that as well.

            However, don't make more work for yourself. Post on your blog, take those blog posts and add them as "notes" to your facebook page. Facebook does not import blogs anymore, but that is o.k. because they really did a poor job at that anyway. If you make them as notes then your images will come across your facebook page in your notes. Facebook will import your tweets, if you desire, and I would tweet about the book or things pertinent to what you write about.

            have fun!
            Bridgette
          • Bridgette Mongeon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
              If we are talking other than FB and blog. I would suggest getting lots of things but linking them. For example- an author page on both amazon and goodreads will import your blog posts. A linked in can bring in your blog posts. The point is to make your blog work for you without you having to do a lot of work.

              Bridgette
            • cherie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
                Great info, everyone. Didn't even THINK about staging a few NOTES on FB, Bridgette. Great idea! Thanks, c:

                --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Bridgette Mongeon <bridgette@...> wrote:

                > Definitely both and I would add twitter to that as well.
                >
                > However, don't make more work for yourself. Post on your blog, take those blog posts and add them as "notes" to your facebook page. Facebook does not import blogs anymore, but that is o.k. because they really did a poor job at that anyway. If you make them as notes then your images will come across your facebook page in your notes. Facebook will import your tweets, if you desire, and I would tweet about the book or things pertinent to what you write about.
                >
                > have fun!
                > Bridgette

              • Janet Fox
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
                  And it's also very easy to cross-post between Facebook and Twitter. My Twitter posts show up on my personal timeline; my Facebook Author posts show up in Twitter. So I only have to remember to post two notices to get maximum coverage.

                  --
                  Janet Fox
                  PO Box 2524

                  Sirens (Speak/Penguin, 2013), Forgiven (2011), & Faithful (2010) YA novels of romance, mystery and adventure
                  Get Organized Without Losing It (Free Spirit Pub, 2006), self-help for kids