      From: Vicki Sansum <vsansum@...>
      To: scbwi houston <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sun, November 1, 2009 2:31:07 PM
      Subject: [scbwi-houston] Re: A success story from our 2008 conference

      Hi all,

      One of our members, Crystal Allen, sent a message about some good news.
      Crystal said, "This all began with the SCBWI Conference in 2008 when Jen
      Rofe (at that time she was still Jeager) did my critique."
      This is a blurb from Publisher's Weekly.

      */Kristin Daly at HarperCollins' s Balzer & Bray imprint has bought two
      books at auction from debut author Crystal Allen for six figures. In the
      first book, a middle-grade novel called How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a
      Bubba Sized Trophy, a 13-year-old African-American boy named Lamar
      Washington is the "maddest, baddest most spectacular bowler ever at
      Striker's Bowling Paradise." But Lamar doesn't have game, and vows to
      spend the summer changing his image from dud to stud. Lamar pubs in
      spring/summer 2011. Jennifer Rofé at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency
      did the deal for world rights. /*
      *//*
      So, everyone, keep writing and honing your skills. Good things do
      happen, and in this case it was a VERY good thing. Six figures.
      Congratulations, Crystal!

      Vicki