4666Re: Hurricane Ike book donations

  • Vicki Sansum
    Nov 2, 2008
      Hi all,
      There were many libraries destroyed during Hurricane Ike. I received the
      below message from one of our chapter members, Sheila Wyborny. Bridge
      City is near Port Authur. I'm sure any children's book in good condition
      would be appreciated.
      Vicki

      Hello Vicki,
      I am a member of SCBWI as well as the Golden Triangle Writers Guild.
      Through GTWG, we are in the process of gathering children's books for
      the Bridge City Schools libraries. From their curruculum coordinator,
      Genia Mannino, I have learned that their primary library is a total
      loss, their 3rd through 8th grade school library sustained a 50% loss,
      and their middle school library lost its entire non fiction and
      reference section. I've sent a similar email to the SCBWI Brazos
      chapter, in an effort to reach as many writers as possible. We are
      donating as many of our author copies as we can spare, and I've also
      been in touch with one of my editors to try to get books from a wide
      range of children's imprints. Since I am a member of SCBWI and GTWG, I
      would be glad to act as liaison, if you would like to join in this
      effort. Please phone or email me if you have any questions, and thanks
      for your time!
      Sheila Wyborny
      281 213 3168

      For the time being, the books can be mailed or FedExed to me: 14308
      Skinner Rd. Cypress, TX 77429, or, if someone lives or works in this
      area, books can be dropped off here. Usually someone around. My in-laws
      live with us and I work from home. I’ll be loading my vehicle with some
      books to take to them in the next week or two.