      From: 'M Dyson' m@... [scbwi-houston] <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>
      To: Scbwi-Houston@Yahoogroups. Com <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Aug 6, 2014 3:45 pm
      Subject: [scbwi-houston] Working with The Real Buzz!

      I told some of you about this at our monthly meeting back in March, and then some more at our conference in April, but finally the contracts are all signed and sealed, and I can officially announce that I’m coauthoring a children’s book with Buzz Aldrin for National Geographic Kids. It’s called Buzz Aldrin on Mars: Making a Home on the Red Planet.

      I get a byline, an advance and royalties, too. But this is not about money for me, it is a wonderful opportunity to work with one of my childhood heroes and help him inspire more kids to learn about space. National Geo says they will cover my travel to join him for some book signings, too! I’ll be sure to let you all know when we do one here in Houston. (The book is scheduled for Fall 2015 release.) One of my good friends, Leonard David, did the Mission to Mars book with Buzz, and said the signings were a real hoot. People would come up to get Buzz to sign the book and ask Leonard, “Who are you?” I’m sure that will happen with me, too, but it will be so much fun! Leonard said Buzz just lights up when kids come to get a book signed. At age 84, he is very well aware that getting the kids inspired is important if we are ever going to go beyond Earth orbit again. I love his T-shirt that says, “Get Your Ass to Mars!” But somehow I think parents might not appreciate it if he wears that one to book signings! Ha!

      Marianne Dyson

      Author, Former NASA Flight Controller
      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic