13093Formatting Images for Kindle

  • Marianne
    Nov 24, 2013

      Hi Wayne,

      I’ve put my stories and poems up on Kindle and did the formatting myself. The anthology I did for a small company included full-color illustrations. What I discovered and is hard to find online anywhere is that Microsoft Word will not preserve the high resolution you want when you create a pdf to upload to Kindle. The only way I found to work around this problem was to place the images in the Word-generated pdf where I wanted them with captions, etc., and then import that pdf to Adobe. I then replaced every image with the original high res copy. Then I uploaded that pdf to Kindle. You can see the results using the Look Inside feature for The Callahan Kids: http://www.amazon.com/Callahan-Kids-Tales-Life-Mars-ebook/dp/B00AM4U8QU/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385329573&sr=1-4&keywords=Marianne+Dyson.

      Also, when placing the images in your Word document, be sure you turn off the compression feature. It is often set as a default. Check the image: format, and next to “Brightness” see the little box that when you hover over it says “Compression.” Bring up the options and select Change resolution to “Print” and deselect “Compress pictures. Note that the best you can get is 200 dpi. Depending on the images, this may be good enough.

      Also, you have to upload BOTH the pdf and a Zip file of the images (as jpegs). You will need WinZip to do that. Most computers come with WinZip—check your program list. It is pretty self-explanatory to use.

      The cover file can actually be a high res jpeg or a pdf. If you intend to eventually create a print copy, I suggest you make the cover the dimensions you plan to use for that such as 6x9 or 8x10 so they will look the same.

      As for formatting the text, use Times New Roman or Ariel, single space. It is more professional to use indents versus spaces between paragraphs, but tabs don’t translate well to all devices: and end up huge on phone apps for example. So I replaced all my tabs with 3 spaces, and that looks okay on all devices. Remove all headers/footers and page numbers. Use page breaks to change chapters or go to a new page. You can set up a hot-linked TOC, but that’s too complex a topic to explain via email. Maybe I’ll do a workshop on all this stuff some weekend next spring!

      Good luck,

      To the stars,

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic