14th-century French courtiers' clothing (was: Coronation is Saturday)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2007
      > I would like to make my son a 14th cemtury Frenchmen's court outfit.
      > I'm having a terrible time finding pictures.

      Have you seen the images from Les Grandes Chroniques de France? The
      Wikimedia Commons has quite a few
      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:
      Grandes_Chroniques_de_France>.

      The Luttrell Psalter <http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/ttpbooks.html>
      is from England, but there was a lot of interplay between the two
      countries and fashions tended to span the Channel.

      "Clothed Seemly and Proper: The Fourth Part"
      <http://adamastorshire.co.za/chronicler/stormtidings/archive/garb/
      garb4.html> offers some general comments on men's 14th-century
      clothing, with a couple of illustrations.

      The de Vieuxchamps' persona pages include an illustrated article on
      "Men's Garb of the 14th Century"
      <http://vieuxchamps.com/persona/mgarb.php> that covers the general look
      and gives details on several specific garments.

      Agnes Cresewyke has information on how to make "Men's 14th Century
      Clothing" on her site
      <http://members.shaw.ca/nessaofthelox/Mens14thcentury.htm>. She
      doesn't specify a region or cite her sources, but her approach is
      consistent with period construction methods in general.

      The members of the 14th Century Garb Yahoo! Group
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/14thcenturygarb/> can probably point you
      to other sources.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad