Re: Camping event

  • mackayjenn
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2007
      I started out at my first event in June '06. I went to small, local
      event and I let the constable know I was coming. He held a place for
      me to camp right next to his household, and he and his lady were very
      nice and helpful.

      I had already gone to the baronial meeting so I knew a few faces. I
      remembered a few names. No one expected much of me at my first event,
      but I wanted to jump in. I offered to help clean up after the event
      was over. I scoured the ground for trash.

      At my second event, a larger kingdom Crown event, I offered to help
      at waterbearing point. I enjoy being useful and helpful.

      I'm now the waterbearer in charge for my barony having had some
      practice doing a few events last year (since we had no official
      waterbearer). It's a good, fun way to help and get to know people if
      your group doesn't have one.

      They'll always take help at Gate. That's another way to meet lots of
      people. Constab is also another area where they need help, too.

      Don't be too shy to ask lots of questions and get around to meet more
      people. Ask them what they do, how did they get started in the SCA?
      Those are always acceptable ice breaker questions.

      I'm from Antir and folks here are really friendly and helpful; they
      should be where you are, too. :) The most important thing of all:
      HAVE FUN!!

      Gemma Northwood
      Barony of Stromgard