Re: [SCA Newcomers] How many people have been driven away by foolish women?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      On Wednesday 04 April 2007 21:47, Elizabeth Cember wrote:
      > I wonder how many other people have had similar experiences.

      About a dozen years ago, I was the Seneschal of my local group. A woman
      who wanted very badly to be Seneschal, but had such an abrasive personality
      that no one in the group would support her, decided for a time that the best
      way to get the job was to sleep with me.

      Never mind that I was happily married, or that she also was married and had
      children. She wasn't really interested in *me*, just the perceived power of
      the office.

      Luckily, my relationship with my wife was strong enough that there was never
      any question of suspicion between us -- just irritation at the perpetrator.
      Also, it happens that I have a number of close female friends who circled
      around like a defending tribe of Amazons and wouldn't let the little wench
      near me, without other people being present. The fear was that when she
      realized she wasn't getting anywhere with flirting, she might try to make
      up a story of me coming on to her, just to ruin my reputation. So my friends
      made sure there were always witnesses.

      Eventually this woman gave up and went away, moved to another state, and
      dropped out of the SCA altogether. Ironically, a few years later I got an
      apology from her, saying she had done a lot of growing up and realized
      that what she did was terribly wrong. She wasn't asking to come back, just
      clearing her conscience by owning up to what she did. I haven't heard from
      her since then. I don't bear her any ongoing malice -- life is too short
      to waste energy on that. She went her way, and is no longer our problem.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.