Re: [SCA Newcomers] Waterbearers

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
      I am one of the tribe of social outcast. I have
      always had much trouble making and keeping friends. I
      have few close acquaintances even at SCA. The
      Waterbearers where God sent. They will except anyone
      irregardless and put them to work and give there time
      at the event a purpose. Its better then sitting
      around watching from the sidelines, or waiting for
      some one to talk to me, anyways. VIVAT!!!
    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2007
        I started out at my first event in June '06. I went to small, local
        event and I let the constable know I was coming. He held a place for
        me to camp right next to his household, and he and his lady were very
        nice and helpful.

        I had already gone to the baronial meeting so I knew a few faces. I
        remembered a few names. No one expected much of me at my first event,
        but I wanted to jump in. I offered to help clean up after the event
        was over. I scoured the ground for trash.

        At my second event, a larger kingdom Crown event, I offered to help
        at waterbearing point. I enjoy being useful and helpful.

        I'm now the waterbearer in charge for my barony having had some
        practice doing a few events last year (since we had no official
        waterbearer). It's a good, fun way to help and get to know people if
        your group doesn't have one.

        They'll always take help at Gate. That's another way to meet lots of
        people. Constab is also another area where they need help, too.

        Don't be too shy to ask lots of questions and get around to meet more
        people. Ask them what they do, how did they get started in the SCA?
        Those are always acceptable ice breaker questions.

        I'm from Antir and folks here are really friendly and helpful; they
        should be where you are, too. :) The most important thing of all:
        HAVE FUN!!

        Gemma Northwood
        Barony of Stromgard