Re: [SCA Newcomers] It's camping season, almost......question time!

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
      I can imagine...I've seen one of the more plasticy medical tapes (long story) turn into a yucky burning sticky (Because of both adhesive and burning plastic...oi) napalm sort of mess, so I can only imagine what tents do, especially because they are so light weight...I bet they blow around uncontrollably.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2007
        Ok, I'm having a blond moment here...clean the inside of the seam....what specifically do you mean by clean the inside of the seam? Inside the tent? or the little groove along the seam on the outside of the tent? or something else?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
          In a message dated 4/5/2007 6:13:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          HI_it_is_me@... writes:

          <<Ok, I'm having a blond moment here...clean the inside of the seam....what
          specifically do you mean by clean the inside of the seam? Inside the tent? or
          the little groove along the seam on the outside of the tent? or something
          else?>>

          Ooops, sorry, I can see how that is confusing.

          I was always taught, and seem to remember the instructions on the seam
          sealer saying the same thing, to apply the seam sealer to the inside of the tent
          fabric, ie, the bit that you would touch when you are inside the tent.
          The reason for cleaning it is because there is always dust and may also be
          skin oils or other contaminants on the fabric which would prevent the seam
          sealer compound from adhering properly. Part of what it needs to do is seep
          down into the stitch holes and seal up around the thread as it comes through the
          fabric. If there is dirt or oil in the way, it may not be able to do that.

          Lancaster, PA