Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
      In a message dated 4/2/2007 9:01:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      mellyora_a@... writes:

      <<My biggest question would be how to find some room to camp. Do I just
      ask around? I've been told of the land grab, but the description
      sounds close to horrific. I would want to know there is some room for
      me before I make the 18 hour drive. >>

      OK, first of all, land grab isn't like the old west where everybody runs in
      and ropes off the land they want as fast as possible. It used to be that
      way, many years ago, but it's been much more organized for quite a while now.
      At this point, camps pre-register ahead of time (that process is already well
      underway) and are assigned a certain amount of land per person who
      pre-registers to be in that camp (yes, the camp is registered, and then each person in
      that camp also pre-registers). Once the amount of land per camp is
      determined, the land staff takes the blocks of land that each group chose to camp on
      (each camp gets four choices and usually ends up on one of the blocks they
      chose, often the same spot as in previous years) and works out how to fit the
      camps into the blocks. The land staff will tell the camps "you are assigned to
      block N07 (for instance) and these four other camps are also assigned
      there". It's then up to those 5 camps to negotiate where each group will be
      situated on the block, but they each have an assigned amount of land on the block.
      The process has in general been working very smoothly and most blocks
      already know where each group will be before they ever arrive at "land grab".
      Now, you have three choices as a newcomer to Pennsic. You can either find
      an existing group to register with (many local groups have a camp registered,
      for instance), which you would do by asking around. You could (but this is
      not necessarily the best option for a newcomer) choose to register yourself
      and anyone you want to join you as a camp and go through the process described
      above. Or you can choose to go into what is called single camping. There
      are always blocks that have more land than the groups on them have been
      assigned, and no groups the right size to fit into the space. That land is then
      designated for single campers, or those who have not pre-registered with a
      group. When you arrive at Pennsic, the gate staff will be able to tell you where
      those sections are and which ones still have space in them for more campers.
      Each person is assigned a certain amount of space even in single camping, so
      you can use up to that amount (usually 250 sq ft per person), but are not
      supposed to use more (which means, if you bring a family of four, you are
      entitled to 1000 sq ft of space, although most single campers don't use nearly
      that much).

      Does that help?

      Lancaster, PA