Re: [SCA Newcomers] If I finally come up with a name do I need to register it?

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      Uh....Guess wrote:
      > . . .I have finally come up with a name. Do I need to register it so
      > that only I have that name with the SCA? Is it possible to do so?. .
      > .Is it possible for more than one person to have the same name?

      Indeed, the purpose of registering a name is to "claim" it. No two
      people may register the same name.

      In order to register your name, you'll have to put together
      documentation of its plausibility as a name from the Middle Ages or
      Rennaisance. It's not too difficult, if you've used reliable sources
      to construct the name in the first place. Just cite your sources,
      showing each name element to have been used in roughly the same period,
      that using them together is reasonable (i.e., that they're from the
      same culture or cultures that had enough contact to make a
      mixed-language name likely), and that you're using them together in a
      reasonable way (i.e., that you're using a first name as your first name
      and a second name as your second name, that you're using the right
      grammar and the right kind of "connecting words", if any, for the
      culture from which the name comes, that you aren't trying to use four
      names from a place and time where nobody had more than two, etc.) If
      you haven't already, you might want to read "Choosing a Society Name:
      Hints for Newcomers"
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html> and visit the
      Medieval Naming Guide for the culture your name comes from
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/> for tips on what's documented.

      If you'll mention in which kingdom you reside
      <http://www.sca.org/geography/>, someone can probably tell you exactly
      how to go about submitting the paperwork once you've got it together.
      (It's a good idea to include that information whenever you ask a
      question, by the way--the answers to many depend on where you are. If
      you get into the habit of putting it below your name as part of your
      signature when you write the list, you won't have to worry about
      remembering to add it when sending an inquiry.) Or, if you're already
      in touch with your local S.C.A. branch, just talk to the branch herald.

      By the way, you must have a name registered in order to register a
      heraldic device or badge. (The two can be submitted at the same time.)

      > What about heraldic flags? Do I have to register a cusotmized one
      > with SCA?

      If a heraldic device is registered to an individual, that individual
      has exclusive claim to it and no one else is entitled to display it.
      Therefore, if you have a device you want to use, it is best to register
      it and really important that you have an experienced herald check it to
      make sure it isn't already registered to someone else before you hang a
      flag or carry a shield on which it appears. (There are some very
      embarrassing stories out there about newbies meeting Queens while
      unknowingly wearing the Queens' own arms, etc.) In addition, in some
      kingdoms, those with registered devices have those devices painted on
      their charters, should they ever be given an Award of Arms (which is
      really cool).

      You do not have to use heraldry at all, however, if that doesn't
      interest you. (Most fighters find it handy, of course, for the same
      reasons it was invented in the first place.) Many people don't.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>