picking German places and names (was: Irish/German persona)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 12:53 PM
      jerry s wrote:
      > i have decided to have my persona take on a german name upon entering
      > germany. . .ill be looking for a german village to be living in also,
      > the date is 1459

      There's a lot more information online on names from southern Germany
      (where High German was dominant) than on other regions. That would,
      therefore, be the easiest area to research.

      If you go to the Medieval Naming Guide for German names
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/german.shtml> and look in the High
      German section, you'll see a number of articles on names from
      15th-century tax records. "German Names from 1495"
      <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/german1495.html> include
      listings for multiple towns, some of them probably small enough to be
      considered "villages", and mentions next to each name where the people
      who bore it were from. One easy way to pick a place to "live" and a
      name that would be likely to have been used there is simply to choose a
      surname from the list, then find a first name recorded in one of the
      same towns and set your persona there. For example, the surname
      "Hartman" and the first name "Lennhardt" are both in entries for people
      from Heinsheim. So "Lennhardt Hartman" from Heinsheim in
      Baden-W├╝rttemberg is a perfectly plausible choice. Several other
      tax-record based articles are from specific cities. You could just as
      easily choose a first name and a surname from one of those, and set
      your persona there.

      Choosing a first name from one place and a second name from another in
      the same region and from the same time period is also fine. The list
      of towns that's part of "German Names from 1495" would still be a good
      place to go looking for a village to "live in". A few minutes on a
      search engine or a visit to a map of Germany should help you determine
      which of the mentioned places is small enough for your purposes.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>