Camping event

  • N.E. Star
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      There is a camping event coming up at the end of May, War of the Roses, that I'm thinking of going to (I've heard people talk about it as being fun), but I know of no one locally who is going (I do live close to the AEthelmearc/East boarder) so I don't know who to turn to for advice but you wonderfully smart people!

      I guess I can sum up my question as: What Do I Do?

      I'm not going to fight, but everything else is a mystery to me. So what would you do after you decided to go? Nothing is too small a detail!

      Thank you,
      Naomi

    • David Whitehead
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
        Waterbearers are always needed and will be gratefully appreciated by any
        fighter, if they refuse just beat them about the head and shoulders until
        the generously accept the life-giving beverage you are spending so much
        effort providing them with (j/k). Being a heavy fighter for a few years
        and living in Ansteorra and wearing plates of metal going from my head to my
        shins, I have yet to turn away anyone carrying a bottle of Gatorade or
        water, and one of the biggest complaints i hear is there not being enough
        waterbearers. T piggyback on what every one else is saying ask around I'm
        sure someone will conscript...err appreciate your help.

        Wolfgang von der Eifel
        (whose name and arms are in the final approval process yay!!!)

      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
          I am one of the tribe of social outcast. I have
          always had much trouble making and keeping friends. I
          have few close acquaintances even at SCA. The
          Waterbearers where God sent. They will except anyone
          irregardless and put them to work and give there time
          at the event a purpose. Its better then sitting
          around watching from the sidelines, or waiting for
          some one to talk to me, anyways. VIVAT!!!
        • mackayjenn
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2007
            I started out at my first event in June '06. I went to small, local
            event and I let the constable know I was coming. He held a place for
            me to camp right next to his household, and he and his lady were very
            nice and helpful.

            I had already gone to the baronial meeting so I knew a few faces. I
            remembered a few names. No one expected much of me at my first event,
            but I wanted to jump in. I offered to help clean up after the event
            was over. I scoured the ground for trash.

            At my second event, a larger kingdom Crown event, I offered to help
            at waterbearing point. I enjoy being useful and helpful.

            I'm now the waterbearer in charge for my barony having had some
            practice doing a few events last year (since we had no official
            waterbearer). It's a good, fun way to help and get to know people if
            your group doesn't have one.

            They'll always take help at Gate. That's another way to meet lots of
            people. Constab is also another area where they need help, too.

            Don't be too shy to ask lots of questions and get around to meet more
            people. Ask them what they do, how did they get started in the SCA?
            Those are always acceptable ice breaker questions.

            I'm from Antir and folks here are really friendly and helpful; they
            should be where you are, too. :) The most important thing of all:
            HAVE FUN!!

            Gemma Northwood
            Barony of Stromgard