spinning/sheep

  • Natasha Laity Snyder
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 31, 2007
      As a future sheep farmer, (this summer!!), what fleeces do you prefer
      for hand spinning? I am buying Icelandics, but that could change -
      or be expanded - as time moves on. I'd also be VERY interested in
      your homemade wool washing vat - can you tell me a bit more detail?

      Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek
    • Leslie Orr
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 5, 2007
        i use suffolk, merino, angora from rabbits, and hampshire. they all spin
        beautifully. you use them for different things. i use the hamp and suffolk
        for socks, rugs, coats, and other sturdy things. the other two i use for
        sweaters and softer luxury items.
        i usually don't soak wool overnight.i wash it in an old fashioned double
        tub w hot water first to reduce the lanolin and then with hot to rinse.
        there are several good wool washing soaps out there.
        remember this is HAIR- you can use shampoo and conditioner!
        if you clean the fleece of debris before washing it greatly reduces the job.
        we shear our own and usually dedebris before shearing. this reduces work
        during carding.and lets u get to the fun of spinning sooner. i use the
        leftover water on my compost pile. can't hurt it might help it.
        i sometimes hang wool on the line to dry. or on bushes. or on screens.
        depends on how much and how warm it is.

        Lemonbalmbess