Re: [SCA Newcomers] Looking for a specific rule.

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
      On Thursday 29 March 2007 17:26, roshayann wrote:
      > Dose anyone happen to have a copy of the SCA Known World Handbook? I
      > need to find a specific rule fron said book about the wearing of
      > fur/furs.
      >   Thank You,
      >      Roshayann D'Lyn

      Just an FYI.... The Known World Handbook is a resource for projects and
      other information. It's not an official policy document, so what's in the
      KWH is not "rules" per se.

      For the official rules, you can look at the SCA Governing Documents
      (http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf) and at your Kingdom Law (location of
      which depends on your locale, of course, but almost all Kingdoms have
      their laws online nowadays).

      Kind regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2007
        Rules are delineated in the Corpora and the Kingdom Laws. Both should
        be accesable online to you.

        Here is a link to official documents of the SCA

        http://www.sca.org/docs/

        Here is a link to Corpora specifically.

        http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

        The only rules that I am aware of reserving or delineating who can wear
        what are those of peerage symbols and various crowns and circlets as
        well as the general rule of "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing"
        for events.

        Kingdom rules shoudl be available through your kingdom's website.

        Read the rules though, just because I'm not aware of any rules for
        wearing "things" doesn't mean they don't exist by any stretch of the
        imagination.

        Ian the Green
        Province of Tree Girt Sea
        Region of the Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "roshayann" <roshayann@...> wrote:

        > Dose anyone happen to have a copy of the SCA Known World Handbook? I
        > need to find a specific rule fron said book about the wearing of
        > fur/furs.
        > Thank You,
        > Roshayann D'Lyn

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2007
          Ok, I just have to ask, what specific rule regarding fur are you looking for? I'm just really curious now after such a vague question. Also, would you be asking about wearing the "heraldic furs" (ermine {sp}, etc) or real fur?

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2007
            I am actually looking for someone else, I heard it refered to as a
            rule but I know it is not an official rule. All I know is that i have
            read it somewhere, and also that it is in the KWH. I know it had
            something to do with why and where a lord would wear fur, what it
            signifies, that type of thing.
            -R-

            -- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            <justin@...> wrote:

            > Just an FYI.... The Known World Handbook is a resource for projects and
            > other information. It's not an official policy document, so what's
            in the
            > KWH is not "rules" per se.
            >
            > For the official rules, you can look at the SCA Governing Documents
            > (http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf) and at your Kingdom Law (location of
            > which depends on your locale, of course, but almost all Kingdoms have
            > their laws online nowadays).
            >
            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Justin
          • roshayann
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2007
              I am trying to find out what I can about pretty much all of it, I love
              to find things that others have given up on, I have a bad habit of
              surfing the web for hours to find one thing for someone else. call it
              the call of the challenge if you will, but i enjoy it. what I was
              asked this time was "What are the rules concerning a lord wearing fur
              during the middle ages. where would he be allowed to wear it, and
              under what circumstances." I know that there is something about it in
              the KWH, but I do not happen to have that particular book,
              unfortunately. Any knowledge, expecially in depth knowledge, advice,
              and thoughts are most welcome.
              -Roshayann D'Lyn-

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
                Ok, that helps a lot actually, I think. Here's what I get from your question:
                It sounds that you are actually looking for the customs (or sumptuary laws) from period having to do with wearing fur...Not actually anything to do with modern SCA rules regarding wearing fur. Is that correct?

                If that is what you are going for, it will depend on the culture and time frame you are looking at. Lots of early and/or nomadic cultures have everyone wearing fur to stay warm. The later or more "civilized" (for lack of a better term) had other standards. I don't know if it's a modern movie thing or actually a period custom, but lots of royals' garb, like the cloak looking things (mantles, maybe?) are trimmed in a fur that looks similar to the heraldic furs (ermine I believe?). You could probably research sumptuary laws for different cultures and find out more information.

                Please let me know if this was of assistance or if this was completely off what you are going for...in which case, please clarify so we may assist you better.
                I'm the same way about researching a specific bit of info for hours/days for other people. Sometimes you just need exactly the right keywords to search for. :) Godd luck.
                ~Isabel

                <justin@...> wrote:

                > Just an FYI.... The Known World Handbook is a resource for projects and
                > other information. It's not an official policy document, so what's
                in the
                > KWH is not "rules" per se.
                >
                > For the official rules, you can look at the SCA Governing Documents
                > (http://sca.org/ docs/govdocs. pdf) and at your Kingdom Law (location of
                > which depends on your locale, of course, but almost all Kingdoms have
                > their laws online nowadays).
                >
                > Kind regards,
                >
                > Justin

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • Signora Beatrice
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
                  As a related aside, there is a custom in current England of wearing rows
                  of ermine tails on the formal robes of members of the House of Lords, with
                  the number of rows of tails denoting the rank of the wearer.

                  http://www.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/about-us/PeersOfTheRealm6.htm

                  --- Janet <HI_it_is_me@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, that helps a lot actually, I think. Here's what I get from your
                  > question:
                  > It sounds that you are actually looking for the customs (or sumptuary
                  > laws) from period having to do with wearing fur...Not actually anything
                  > to do with modern SCA rules regarding wearing fur. Is that correct?
                  >
                  > If that is what you are going for, it will depend on the culture and
                  > time frame you are looking at. Lots of early and/or nomadic cultures
                  > have everyone wearing fur to stay warm. The later or more "civilized"
                  > (for lack of a better term) had other standards. I don't know if it's a
                  > modern movie thing or actually a period custom, but lots of royals'
                  > garb, like the cloak looking things (mantles, maybe?) are trimmed in a
                  > fur that looks similar to the heraldic furs (ermine I believe?). You
                  > could probably research sumptuary laws for different cultures and find
                  > out more information.
                  >
                  > Please let me know if this was of assistance or if this was completely
                  > off what you are going for...in which case, please clarify so we may
                  > assist you better.
                  > I'm the same way about researching a specific bit of info for hours/days
                  > for other people. Sometimes you just need exactly the right keywords to
                  > search for. :) Godd luck.
                  > ~Isabel

                  In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
                  Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                • Janet
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
                    Ok, this makes me want to research the use of ermine and other furs for royals/nobility through out period...lol.

                    --- Janet <HI_it_is_me@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > Ok, that helps a lot actually, I think. Here's what I get from your
                    > question:
                    > It sounds that you are actually looking for the customs (or sumptuary
                    > laws) from period having to do with wearing fur...Not actually anything
                    > to do with modern SCA rules regarding wearing fur. Is that correct?
                    >
                    > If that is what you are going for, it will depend on the culture and
                    > time frame you are looking at. Lots of early and/or nomadic cultures
                    > have everyone wearing fur to stay warm. The later or more "civilized"
                    > (for lack of a better term) had other standards. I don't know if it's a
                    > modern movie thing or actually a period custom, but lots of royals'
                    > garb, like the cloak looking things (mantles, maybe?) are trimmed in a
                    > fur that looks similar to the heraldic furs (ermine I believe?). You
                    > could probably research sumptuary laws for different cultures and find
                    > out more information.
                    >
                    > Please let me know if this was of assistance or if this was completely
                    > off what you are going for...in which case, please clarify so we may
                    > assist you better.
                    > I'm the same way about researching a specific bit of info for hours/days
                    > for other people. Sometimes you just need exactly the right keywords to
                    > search for. :) Godd luck.
                    > ~Isabel

                    The fish are biting.