[MODERATOR] Multiple list posts (was: Pennsic)

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
      On Wednesday 28 March 2007 18:39, Elizabeth Cember wrote:
      > My apologies to the list for the double and then triple message.
      > Apparently, the computer I was using this morning was not actually
      > joking when it said it was having connection problems.  I assure
      > everyone that I hit "send" only once and that I will avoid that machine
      > in the future.

      Many people's messages are arriving multiply at my end, which suggests
      that this is a Yahoo problem and not anything you did wrong. :-)

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 29, 2007
        Quoting Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>:

        > On Wednesday 28 March 2007 18:39, Elizabeth Cember wrote:
        >> My apologies to the list for the double and then triple message.
        >> Apparently, the computer I was using this morning was not actually
        >> joking when it said it was having connection problems. I assure
        >> everyone that I hit "send" only once and that I will avoid that machine
        >> in the future.
        >
        > Many people's messages are arriving multiply at my end, which suggests
        > that this is a Yahoo problem and not anything you did wrong. :-)

        Oh, it was a yahoo problem in spades! Some of my lists were
        generating 20 and 30 copies of random messages! :-P

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Megan & Dave
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2007
          And here I thought 8 each was bad
          Gwenhyfar
          <
          <
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
            In a message dated 4/1/2007 3:17:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            mellyora_a@... writes:

            <<Any information on Pennsic this year would be great. I've looked at
            the web site but need more information on camping areas. Thank you!>>

            If you are looking for info on the actual land status - how hilly it is,
            trees/brush cover, whether it is wet, etc, my husband is in charge of land
            distribution this year and can answer those questions. You can either email me
            directly, or contact him through the official Pennsic War page,
            _http://www.pennsicwar.org/_ (http://www.pennsicwar.org/) ; there is a link there that will
            send mail to him. If you are looking more for info on how to hook up with a
            group that is setting up a camp, ask here and we'll be able to help.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Mellyora
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
              Thank you very much...

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                In a message dated 4/2/2007 9:01:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                mellyora_a@... writes:

                <<My biggest question would be how to find some room to camp. Do I just
                ask around? I've been told of the land grab, but the description
                sounds close to horrific. I would want to know there is some room for
                me before I make the 18 hour drive. >>

                OK, first of all, land grab isn't like the old west where everybody runs in
                and ropes off the land they want as fast as possible. It used to be that
                way, many years ago, but it's been much more organized for quite a while now.
                At this point, camps pre-register ahead of time (that process is already well
                underway) and are assigned a certain amount of land per person who
                pre-registers to be in that camp (yes, the camp is registered, and then each person in
                that camp also pre-registers). Once the amount of land per camp is
                determined, the land staff takes the blocks of land that each group chose to camp on
                (each camp gets four choices and usually ends up on one of the blocks they
                chose, often the same spot as in previous years) and works out how to fit the
                camps into the blocks. The land staff will tell the camps "you are assigned to
                block N07 (for instance) and these four other camps are also assigned
                there". It's then up to those 5 camps to negotiate where each group will be
                situated on the block, but they each have an assigned amount of land on the block.
                The process has in general been working very smoothly and most blocks
                already know where each group will be before they ever arrive at "land grab".
                Now, you have three choices as a newcomer to Pennsic. You can either find
                an existing group to register with (many local groups have a camp registered,
                for instance), which you would do by asking around. You could (but this is
                not necessarily the best option for a newcomer) choose to register yourself
                and anyone you want to join you as a camp and go through the process described
                above. Or you can choose to go into what is called single camping. There
                are always blocks that have more land than the groups on them have been
                assigned, and no groups the right size to fit into the space. That land is then
                designated for single campers, or those who have not pre-registered with a
                group. When you arrive at Pennsic, the gate staff will be able to tell you where
                those sections are and which ones still have space in them for more campers.
                Each person is assigned a certain amount of space even in single camping, so
                you can use up to that amount (usually 250 sq ft per person), but are not
                supposed to use more (which means, if you bring a family of four, you are
                entitled to 1000 sq ft of space, although most single campers don't use nearly
                that much).

                Does that help?

                Lancaster, PA