[SCA Newcomers] Re: native american persona

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 20, 2007
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Pate" <cym.lloyd@...> wrote:

      > Okay, the purpose of the SCA is to explore and reenact all facets of
      > European history to 1600. And I agree that people can participate in
      > Native American personas.

      I have not been fully reading all the posts regarding this issue but I
      would like to draw attention to what the governing documents of the SCA
      has to say on the subject of the purpose of the SCA.

      They can be found at:

      http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

      I draw your attention to page nine of the .pdf file entitle "A brief
      introduction to the Society for Creative Anachronism"

      The expressed purpose of the SCA as delineated in this document is that
      we are an educational organization devoted to the study and the Middle
      Ages and the Renaissance.

      Further down the page it expressly states that any time previos to the
      17th century and most of the world can serve as a source for pesonal
      reseach.

      While it does express that the core of what we do is fairly euro-
      centric and the further away one's studies wander from that the more
      likely one is to be more an dmore unique nowhere in the document does
      it state that the main purpose of the SCA is to study European History.

      At one point in time this may have been true but it seems to me that
      this is no longer true.

      My humble observations.

      Ian the Green
    • David Roland