Re: native american persona

  • Sharon Persley
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 13, 2007
      Greetings~ I agree with Isabella. I will say that you are on an up hill battle. Most all books in print are written by "others". I am having a hard time finding research items for my discertation (spelling is off I know). I am finding that there is slim pickin' for authentic Native journals or any original inter. of a journal. Good luck! what time period are you looking to use ?

      Always in the Service of the Dream,
      Iseabail McTavish
      Chatlaine of the Shire of Chul Chuilum
      Middle Kingdom
      (South Central Indiana)
      Re: native american persona Posted by: "rebeccaatthewell_2000" rebeccaatthewell_2000@... rebeccaatthewell_2000 Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:50 pm (PST) I studied North American Indians in College and I can tell you now
      you are in for a rough road. There is very little information on the
      indian culture of the middle ages (woodland indians) that is not
      through the very biased eyes of the spanish and others who
      encountered them. They had no written language and very few
      surviving relics so your persona would be mostly based on the
      perceptions of other cultures which looked down on the indians as
      savages. Good luck.
      Isabella

      --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
      wrote:

      > Quoth "Howel ap Huws":
      > > Does anyone have an american indian personna. If so where did you
      find
      > > the information to get started.
      >
      > I don't, but I can offer some suggestions on the latter. What I
      would
      > recommend is start off by reading history books which discuss the
      > early voyages to the New World, by the English, Spanish, and
      Portuguese.
      > These books will tell you what indingenous groups the travelers came
      > into contact, and from there you can look at books covering the
      history
      > and cultures of those groups.
      >
      > -Aryanhwy

      May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
      enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to
      keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.
      Reminder: Growing old is manditory, growing up is optional!
      "When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America before the white man came, an Indian said simply, 'Ours'"
      Vine Deloria

    • David Roland
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 20, 2007
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Pate" <cym.lloyd@...> wrote:

        > Okay, the purpose of the SCA is to explore and reenact all facets of
        > European history to 1600. And I agree that people can participate in
        > Native American personas.

        I have not been fully reading all the posts regarding this issue but I
        would like to draw attention to what the governing documents of the SCA
        has to say on the subject of the purpose of the SCA.

        They can be found at:

        http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf

        I draw your attention to page nine of the .pdf file entitle "A brief
        introduction to the Society for Creative Anachronism"

        The expressed purpose of the SCA as delineated in this document is that
        we are an educational organization devoted to the study and the Middle
        Ages and the Renaissance.

        Further down the page it expressly states that any time previos to the
        17th century and most of the world can serve as a source for pesonal
        reseach.

        While it does express that the core of what we do is fairly euro-
        centric and the further away one's studies wander from that the more
        likely one is to be more an dmore unique nowhere in the document does
        it state that the main purpose of the SCA is to study European History.

        At one point in time this may have been true but it seems to me that
        this is no longer true.

        My humble observations.

        Ian the Green