Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie needs research advice

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9 1:40 PM
      On 3/6/07, gbrasen_sca <gbrasen_sca@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all! I have been interested in the SCA for a while, but
      > for various reasons have not had much time in the past to be
      > involved. I did have the opportunity to spend a semester fencing at
      > the College of Falcon's Gate in Northshield (Though I believe the
      > Kingdom was still part of Middle at the time). However, after I
      > graduated, mundane life got in the way again. :( I am hoping to be
      > able to get back into the SCA shortly, but wanted to create a
      > persona this time around. I moved to the kingdom of Meridies after
      > college, and live between the Shires of Glaedenfeld and Crimson
      > River. (my zipcode is in Glaedenfeld, but I am the same distance
      > (roughly) from either)I am considering a German persona from
      > somewhere around 1350-1450 (range could be expanded somewhat).
      > However, when I tried to do some basic research (clothing, names,
      > lifestyle in the time period) I never really found any sites that
      > seemed reliable. Same hold true for the libraries I checked. (Even
      > when searching for "Holy Roman Empire" instead of Germany - since
      > that is what the country was called at the time) Does anyone have
      > any advice as to where I can start looking or how I can cut through
      > all the sights that just have a generic overview of the middle ages
      > (i.e. several hundred years rolled into 2-3 paragraphs)?
      >
      > My main interests, if it matters for the above research, are fencing
      > and archery. I could also see myself getting into heavy combat at
      > some point. I also have an interest (though no experience beyond
      > observing at a ren fair, and other renactments(non-period)) in
      > blacksmithing (though I do not know if I would have the resources to
      > do this or not). I do see other things on the SCA sites that I am
      > interested in, but I don't think a list of everything I like would
      > be beneficial in this post.
      >
      > Thank you for any advice you may have, it is greatly appreciated.
      > Greg

      Read. Read some more. Read anything that might be relevant. Read the
      bibliographies of the books you read and find those books or articles.
      Read them and their bibliographies to find more books.

      Another place to go is for special interest mailing lists on sites
      like Yahoo and Google. There are special interest groups devoted to
      particular times, particular cultures, particular crafts, etc.
      Sometimes they take a bit of finding, frankly, but you can learn a lot
      from the right special interest group.

      I hope this helps a bit.

      Scolastica
      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz