Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Update on researching a name

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
      Quoth "Marcy":
      > Yes, language/culture would be French.

      I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

      For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
      census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
      and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
      1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
      16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

      Isabele 1531
      Izabelle 1529, 1529
      Y(s)abelle 1548
      Ysabeau 1537
      Ysabelle 1509, 1521
      Yssabelle 1515
      Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

      [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

      [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

      [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

      I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
      sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

      Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
      Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
      as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
      <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
      of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
      bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
      three would also be fine choices for your byname.

      And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
      in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
      form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
      borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
      1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

      [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

      So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
      all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
      changed some depending on the period.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est