Newbie needs research advice

  • gbrasen_sca
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2007
      Greetings all! I have been interested in the SCA for a while, but
      for various reasons have not had much time in the past to be
      involved. I did have the opportunity to spend a semester fencing at
      the College of Falcon's Gate in Northshield (Though I believe the
      Kingdom was still part of Middle at the time). However, after I
      graduated, mundane life got in the way again. :( I am hoping to be
      able to get back into the SCA shortly, but wanted to create a
      persona this time around. I moved to the kingdom of Meridies after
      college, and live between the Shires of Glaedenfeld and Crimson
      River. (my zipcode is in Glaedenfeld, but I am the same distance
      (roughly) from either)I am considering a German persona from
      somewhere around 1350-1450 (range could be expanded somewhat).
      However, when I tried to do some basic research (clothing, names,
      lifestyle in the time period) I never really found any sites that
      seemed reliable. Same hold true for the libraries I checked. (Even
      when searching for "Holy Roman Empire" instead of Germany - since
      that is what the country was called at the time) Does anyone have
      any advice as to where I can start looking or how I can cut through
      all the sights that just have a generic overview of the middle ages
      (i.e. several hundred years rolled into 2-3 paragraphs)?

      My main interests, if it matters for the above research, are fencing
      and archery. I could also see myself getting into heavy combat at
      some point. I also have an interest (though no experience beyond
      observing at a ren fair, and other renactments(non-period)) in
      blacksmithing (though I do not know if I would have the resources to
      do this or not). I do see other things on the SCA sites that I am
      interested in, but I don't think a list of everything I like would
      be beneficial in this post.

      Thank you for any advice you may have, it is greatly appreciated.
      Greg
    • N.E. Star
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
        I'm in somewhat of the same situation, I picked 1300's Poland (Krakow).

        But I did find a book in my library that was helpful, Europe in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries by Denys Hay. The book is broken up by region, and there are some cool maps.

        I'll keep you in mind as I do more reading.

        Naomi Corkajan

        gbrasen_sca <gbrasen_sca@...> wrote:I am considering a German persona from
        somewhere around 1350-1450 (range could be expanded somewhat).
        However, when I tried to do some basic research (clothing, names,
        lifestyle in the time period) I never really found any sites that
        seemed reliable. Same hold true for the libraries I checked. (Even
        when searching for "Holy Roman Empire" instead of Germany - since
        that is what the country was called at the time) Does anyone have
        any advice as to where I can start looking or how I can cut through
        all the sights that just have a generic overview of the middle ages
        (i.e. several hundred years rolled into 2-3 paragraphs)?

        My LJ - Yes, I think I'm that important!
        http://n-e-star.livejournal.com

        Central NY Browncoats - You Can't Stop The Signal!

        Firefly Talk - The best podcast ever
        http://www.fireflytalk.com

      • gbrasen_sca
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
          Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for the book in local libraries.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "N.E. Star" <n_e_star@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm in somewhat of the same situation, I picked 1300's Poland
          (Krakow).

          > But I did find a book in my library that was helpful, Europe in
          the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries by Denys Hay.
          The book is broken up by region, and there are some cool maps.

          > I'll keep you in mind as I do more reading.
          >
          > Naomi Corkajan
          >
          > gbrasen_sca <gbrasen_sca@...> wrote:I am considering a German
          persona from
          > somewhere around 1350-1450 (range could be expanded somewhat).
          > However, when I tried to do some basic research (clothing, names,
          > lifestyle in the time period) I never really found any sites that
          > seemed reliable. Same hold true for the libraries I checked. (Even
          > when searching for "Holy Roman Empire" instead of Germany - since
          > that is what the country was called at the time) Does anyone have
          > any advice as to where I can start looking or how I can cut
          through
          > all the sights that just have a generic overview of the middle
          ages
          > (i.e. several hundred years rolled into 2-3 paragraphs)?
          >
          > My LJ - Yes, I think I'm that important!
          > http://n-e-star.livejournal.com
          >
          > Central NY Browncoats - You Can't Stop The Signal!
          >
          > Firefly Talk - The best podcast ever
          > http://www.fireflytalk.com

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
            Greg wrote:
            > I am considering a German persona from somewhere around 1350-1450
            > (range could be expanded somewhat). However, when I tried to do some
            > basic research (clothing, names, lifestyle in the time period) I never
            > really found any sites that seemed reliable.

            The Medieval Names Archive is the place to start your names research.
            Start with "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>, then proceed to
            the guide to German names <http://s-gabriel.org/names/german.shtml>.

            The Atlantian A&S Links are a good place to begin looking for details
            on anything material, like clothing. There's an index to German
            clothing at
            <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
            action=displaycat&catid=127>. Most of the sites listed there are,
            unfortunately, about the 16th century, but the better ones will have
            bibliographies which may lead you to on- and off-line resources
            relevant to your period. The listings for the culture, history, and
            religion of Northern Europe
            <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
            action=displaycat&catid=609> may be more immediately useful. Bavaria,
            Germany, and the Holy Roman Empire each have their own category. That
            for Germany is the largest, and includes several bibliographies and
            websites designed to aid the new researcher. Browse around the site a
            bit, and you may find other sections that apply to your needs.

            The Manesse Codex
            <http://www.tempora-nostra.de/tempora-nostra/manesse.php?id=203> is a
            heavily-illustrated book of love songs in the Middle High German
            language that was painted in Zurich immediately before your period.
            You might want to browse through it for an idea of the kinds of
            clothing being worn at that time, in that part of Europe. Several of
            the Codices Palatinus Germanicus
            <http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/helios/digi/codpalgerm.html> were made
            late in or just after your period. If you look through them, you'll
            probably find some useful illustrations; number 21 looks promising.

            Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Kristine Elliott
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
              On 3/6/07, gbrasen_sca <gbrasen_sca@...> wrote:

              > Greetings all! I have been interested in the SCA for a while, but
              > for various reasons have not had much time in the past to be
              > involved. I did have the opportunity to spend a semester fencing at
              > the College of Falcon's Gate in Northshield (Though I believe the
              > Kingdom was still part of Middle at the time). However, after I
              > graduated, mundane life got in the way again. :( I am hoping to be
              > able to get back into the SCA shortly, but wanted to create a
              > persona this time around. I moved to the kingdom of Meridies after
              > college, and live between the Shires of Glaedenfeld and Crimson
              > River. (my zipcode is in Glaedenfeld, but I am the same distance
              > (roughly) from either)I am considering a German persona from
              > somewhere around 1350-1450 (range could be expanded somewhat).
              > However, when I tried to do some basic research (clothing, names,
              > lifestyle in the time period) I never really found any sites that
              > seemed reliable. Same hold true for the libraries I checked. (Even
              > when searching for "Holy Roman Empire" instead of Germany - since
              > that is what the country was called at the time) Does anyone have
              > any advice as to where I can start looking or how I can cut through
              > all the sights that just have a generic overview of the middle ages
              > (i.e. several hundred years rolled into 2-3 paragraphs)?
              >
              > My main interests, if it matters for the above research, are fencing
              > and archery. I could also see myself getting into heavy combat at
              > some point. I also have an interest (though no experience beyond
              > observing at a ren fair, and other renactments(non-period)) in
              > blacksmithing (though I do not know if I would have the resources to
              > do this or not). I do see other things on the SCA sites that I am
              > interested in, but I don't think a list of everything I like would
              > be beneficial in this post.
              >
              > Thank you for any advice you may have, it is greatly appreciated.
              > Greg

              Read. Read some more. Read anything that might be relevant. Read the
              bibliographies of the books you read and find those books or articles.
              Read them and their bibliographies to find more books.

              Another place to go is for special interest mailing lists on sites
              like Yahoo and Google. There are special interest groups devoted to
              particular times, particular cultures, particular crafts, etc.
              Sometimes they take a bit of finding, frankly, but you can learn a lot
              from the right special interest group.

              I hope this helps a bit.

              Scolastica
              --
              http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

              If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
              'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz