Need Advice on Persona Research and such

  • gbrasen_sca
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
      Greetings all. My first post seems to have disappeared into a black
      hole. If this comes through as a duplicate I appologize. I am semi-
      new to the SCA. I did spend a semester fencing at the College of
      Falcon's Gate in Northshield (though at the time it was part of
      Middle Kingdom). However, I never got to the point of creating a
      persona. When I graduated from college, I moved to Meridies
      (Glaedenfeld), however Mudane life got in the way. :( I now am
      finally near to the point where I can hopefully rejoin the SCA, but
      want to do it right this time (i.e. create a persona, have garb,
      etc). I am thinking of a Germanic persona from somewhere in the time
      period of 1350-1450 (though it is somehat flexible). However, I have
      not had much luck finding sources that appear reliable (i.e. pages
      that have more than two summary paragraphs which lump multiple
      centuries as if they were the same, sites having good citations,
      etc). I have tried searching both on the web and two local
      libraries. Unfortunately I didn't find any promising leads. Can
      anyone offer advice on good sites/books to use in researching such a
      persona?

      Some of my main interests that I would work into my persona are
      rapier, archery, and strategy (some I am leaning toward having some
      sort of military background, thinking a minor noble who served in a
      war or two). I also have an interest in blacksmithing, though no
      experience beyond seeing at a few reinactments (only one of which
      being Medieval) I do not know if I have the resources to do smithing
      or not though, so this might be something I would grow into over
      time, rather than having as part of my persona at the start. There
      are several other activities within the SCA I am interested in, but
      the above are what I would most likely weave into my persona to
      start (with the possible exception of smithing)

      I am also having difficulty finding sites that have pattens for garb
      beyond the T-tunic. I realize many of the big brand patterns
      (Simplicity, McCalls, etc) leave a deal to be desired in historical
      accuracy. I did find a site that might me more reliable, but wanted
      to ask the advice of those more knowledgable than I what they
      thought of a company/line called Period Patterns. Here is a link:
      http://www.mediaevalmisc.com/patterns.htm

      Thanks for any advice you can give.
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        Hey there!

        I went looking for patterns m'self, and as I was doing so, found that most
        people trying for historicaly accurate stuff generally make their own
        patterns. Period patterns are nice, if a bit generic in some cases. Now, I
        don't have the talent to look at pictures of someone's clothing and turn
        that into my own pattern yet. Maybe someday. Until then, I'll be captain
        generic medieval guy.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          On Thursday 08 March 2007 10:35, gbrasen_sca wrote:
          > My first post seems to have disappeared into a black
          > hole. If this comes through as a duplicate I appologize.

          It was held for moderator approval (that's me!). The first post from each new
          subscriber to the list is held for approval to ensure that spambots can't
          subscribe themselves and post here. Once I approve the first post, I also
          clear your moderation flag so your future posts don't require approval. :-)

          In your case, you had posted twice before I got time to approve the first,
          which isn't a problem but did result in you getting two moderation notices
          rather than the usual one. Don't worry...I did clear your moderation flag,
          so future posts from you will come through without needing approval.

          Welcome to the list, now that you've proven you're not a spambot. {BIG GRIN}

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            Most of the shires I've heard of have at least one really good sewer. Ask
            around in your area - your sewing guru should be delighted (or at least
            willing) to help you with design, especially if they don't then have to sew
            it for you.

            Kyla of Ravenslake, Midrealm

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
              Thanks, I'll do that.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                On Thursday 08 March 2007 21:21, Kyla wrote:
                > Most of the shires I've heard of have at least one really good sewer.

                For just an instant, before I read the rest of the message, I had an
                entirely incorrect understanding of the meaning of this sentence. {GRIN}

                (Gimme a break...my persona is an 11th century Byzantine merchant whose
                business is designing sewer systems and aqueducts [and never the twain
                shall meet]. For an instant I thought I had a kindred spirit on the list!)

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                  My fault. In trying to not make the obvious assumption, I couldn't think of
                  a better substitute for seamstress.

                  You're right; I used the wrong word, or didn't make a really bad pun.
                  Hmmm...I'll have to think about that!
                  (-:

                  Kyla of Ravenslake, Midrealm

                  On Thursday 08 March 2007 21:21, Kyla wrote:
                  > Most of the shires I've heard of have at least one really good sewer.

                  For just an instant, before I read the rest of the message, I had an
                  entirely incorrect understanding of the meaning of this sentence. {GRIN}

                  (Gimme a break...my persona is an 11th century Byzantine merchant whose
                  business is designing sewer systems and aqueducts [and never the twain
                  shall meet]. For an instant I thought I had a kindred spirit on the list!)

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                    Quoth "Kyla":
                    > You're right; I used the wrong word, or didn't make a really bad pun.

                    Actually, <sewer> is a perfectly fine word for 'one who sews'. It's
                    meaning #3 in the OED, and there's examples from as early as 1399 (and
                    this lovely quote from 1891 brags that "She was not only a neat sewer,
                    but could cut out men's shirts"!)

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                      On Friday 09 March 2007 16:55, Kyla wrote:
                      > You're right; I used the wrong word, or didn't make a really bad pun.

                      I'm sorry if it sounded as if I was being critical; that was not my intent.
                      I was merely amused. :-)

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                        I totally read it as sewer also because my boyfriend is currently working for the sewer department where we live and I'm always hearing about these funky little remote controlled camera robots they have and how they get to drive them around in the sewers...oh well. I found it amusing too.

                        On Friday 09 March 2007 16:55, Kyla wrote:
                        > You're right; I used the wrong word, or didn't make a really bad pun.

                        I'm sorry if it sounded as if I was being critical; that was not my intent.
                        I was merely amused. :-)

                        ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()
                        keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/ sca/justin/
                        justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/ keys/justin. pubkey

                      • Kyla
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                          I thought it was funny, and was kicking myself for missing the opportunity
                          to make a truly tasteless pun!
                          Hmm - how can I work that into a casual statement? (-;

                        • fnordrick@cox.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                            Wait, you DIDNT make a bad pun? oh i think im disappointed and sad ....

                            Brother Varinn