Re: [SCA Newcomers] Looking For Groups

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
      On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
      > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

      You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
      in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        Quoth "Marcy":
        > Yes, language/culture would be French.

        I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

        For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
        census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
        and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
        1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
        16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

        Isabele 1531
        Izabelle 1529, 1529
        Y(s)abelle 1548
        Ysabeau 1537
        Ysabelle 1509, 1521
        Yssabelle 1515
        Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

        [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

        [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

        [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

        I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
        sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

        Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
        Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
        as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
        <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
        of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
        bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
        three would also be fine choices for your byname.

        And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
        in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
        form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
        borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
        1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

        [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

        So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
        all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
        changed some depending on the period.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est