Re: [SCA Newcomers] Looking For Groups

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
      On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
      > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
      > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

      Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
      is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

      If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
      of us from that shire on this list. :-)

      Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
      Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
      Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

      In any case, welcome to the area!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • T.E.Dragon
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
        Thanks to all who replied......
        Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
        small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
        living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
        both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
        ..T.E
        <justin@...> wrote:

        > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
        > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
        > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
        >
        > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
        Alderford (which
        > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
        >
        > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
        are several
        > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
        >
        > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
        > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
        > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
        >
        > In any case, welcome to the area!
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
          On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
          > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

          You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
          in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
            Quoth "Marcy":
            > Yes, language/culture would be French.

            I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

            For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
            census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
            and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
            1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
            16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

            Isabele 1531
            Izabelle 1529, 1529
            Y(s)abelle 1548
            Ysabeau 1537
            Ysabelle 1509, 1521
            Yssabelle 1515
            Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

            [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

            [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

            [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

            I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
            sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

            Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
            Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
            as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
            <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
            of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
            bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
            three would also be fine choices for your byname.

            And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
            in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
            form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
            borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
            1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

            [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

            So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
            all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
            changed some depending on the period.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est