Re: [SCA Newcomers] Looking For Groups

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
      Welcome to North Oaken! Lots of fun and great people around here.
      ~Isabel
      Artisan Member of Legion of the Night Mare
      North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
        Yes, language/culture would be French.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

        > Quoth "Marcy":
        > > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
        > > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.
        >
        > And language/culture is French, right?
        >
        > -Ary
        >

        > --
        > vita sine literis mors est
        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
          On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
          > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
          > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

          Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
          is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

          If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
          of us from that shire on this list. :-)

          Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
          Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
          Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

          In any case, welcome to the area!

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • T.E.Dragon
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
            Thanks to all who replied......
            Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
            small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
            living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
            both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
            ..T.E
            <justin@...> wrote:

            > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
            > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
            > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
            >
            > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
            Alderford (which
            > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
            >
            > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
            are several
            > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
            >
            > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
            > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
            > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
            >
            > In any case, welcome to the area!
            >
            > Justin
            >
            > --
            > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
            <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
              On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
              > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

              You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
              in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                Quoth "Marcy":
                > Yes, language/culture would be French.

                I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

                For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
                census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
                and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
                1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
                16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

                Isabele 1531
                Izabelle 1529, 1529
                Y(s)abelle 1548
                Ysabeau 1537
                Ysabelle 1509, 1521
                Yssabelle 1515
                Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

                [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

                [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

                [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

                I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
                sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

                Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
                Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
                as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
                <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
                of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
                bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
                three would also be fine choices for your byname.

                And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
                in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
                form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
                borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
                1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

                [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

                So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
                all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
                changed some depending on the period.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est