Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Update on researching a name

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
      Quoth "Marcy":
      > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
      > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

      And language/culture is French, right?

      -Ary

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
        Greetings all,
        I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
        I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
        Thanks in advance,T.E.
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
          Quoth "T.E.Dragon":
          > Greetings all,
          > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

          Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

          http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/northern_oaken.htm

          I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford.org/) or perhaps
          Ath Dreagain/Dragon's ford (http://www.geocities.com/stephielbrown/).

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
            Welcome to North Oaken! Lots of fun and great people around here.
            ~Isabel
            Artisan Member of Legion of the Night Mare
            North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

            > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

            Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

            http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Oaken_Pages/ northern_ oaken.htm

            I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford. org/) or perhaps
            Ath Dreagain/Dragon' s ford (http://www.geocitie s.com/stephielbr own/).

            -Aryanhwy

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
          • Marcy
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
              Yes, language/culture would be French.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

              > Quoth "Marcy":
              > > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
              > > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.
              >
              > And language/culture is French, right?
              >
              > -Ary
              >

              > --
              > vita sine literis mors est
              > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

                Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
                is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

                If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
                of us from that shire on this list. :-)

                Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

                In any case, welcome to the area!

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • T.E.Dragon
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Thanks to all who replied......
                  Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
                  small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
                  living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
                  both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
                  ..T.E
                  <justin@...> wrote:

                  > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                  > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                  > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
                  >
                  > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
                  Alderford (which
                  > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
                  >
                  > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
                  are several
                  > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
                  >
                  > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                  > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                  > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
                  >
                  > In any case, welcome to the area!
                  >
                  > Justin
                  >
                  > --
                  > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                  <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

                  http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                    On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                    > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

                    You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
                    in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Quoth "Marcy":
                      > Yes, language/culture would be French.

                      I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

                      For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
                      census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
                      and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
                      1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
                      16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

                      Isabele 1531
                      Izabelle 1529, 1529
                      Y(s)abelle 1548
                      Ysabeau 1537
                      Ysabelle 1509, 1521
                      Yssabelle 1515
                      Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

                      [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

                      [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

                      [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

                      I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
                      sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

                      Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
                      Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
                      as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
                      <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
                      of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
                      bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
                      three would also be fine choices for your byname.

                      And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
                      in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
                      form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
                      borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
                      1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

                      [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

                      So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
                      all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
                      changed some depending on the period.

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est