Re: Update on researching a name

  • Marcy
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
      Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
      haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Marcy" <flightyone@...> wrote:

      > I have deviated a bit from my previous name I was looking into. I'm
      > leaning towards Marta or Ysabelle. Surname-wise, I'm looking at
      Blanc
      > or Bertrand. I'm going to do some more research on this stuff, but
      > with this being the week before GW, it's quite hectic, plus I've got
      > art projects out the wazoo for school!
      >
      > More to come later after I get more time to look into things.

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
        Quoth "Marcy":
        > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
        > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

        And language/culture is French, right?

        -Ary

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
          Greetings all,
          I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
          I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
          Thanks in advance,T.E.
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
            Quoth "T.E.Dragon":
            > Greetings all,
            > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

            Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

            http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/northern_oaken.htm

            I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford.org/) or perhaps
            Ath Dreagain/Dragon's ford (http://www.geocities.com/stephielbrown/).

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
              Welcome to North Oaken! Lots of fun and great people around here.
              ~Isabel
              Artisan Member of Legion of the Night Mare
              North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

              > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

              Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

              http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Oaken_Pages/ northern_ oaken.htm

              I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford. org/) or perhaps
              Ath Dreagain/Dragon' s ford (http://www.geocitie s.com/stephielbr own/).

              -Aryanhwy

              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
            • Marcy
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                Yes, language/culture would be French.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                > Quoth "Marcy":
                > > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
                > > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.
                >
                > And language/culture is French, right?
                >
                > -Ary
                >

                > --
                > vita sine literis mors est
                > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                  On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                  > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                  > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

                  Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
                  is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

                  If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
                  of us from that shire on this list. :-)

                  Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                  Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                  Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

                  In any case, welcome to the area!

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • T.E.Dragon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Thanks to all who replied......
                    Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
                    small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
                    living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
                    both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
                    ..T.E
                    <justin@...> wrote:

                    > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                    > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                    > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
                    >
                    > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
                    Alderford (which
                    > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
                    >
                    > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
                    are several
                    > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
                    >
                    > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                    > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                    > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
                    >
                    > In any case, welcome to the area!
                    >
                    > Justin
                    >
                    > --
                    > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                    <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

                    http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                      On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                      > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

                      You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
                      in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                        Quoth "Marcy":
                        > Yes, language/culture would be French.

                        I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

                        For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
                        census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
                        and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
                        1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
                        16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

                        Isabele 1531
                        Izabelle 1529, 1529
                        Y(s)abelle 1548
                        Ysabeau 1537
                        Ysabelle 1509, 1521
                        Yssabelle 1515
                        Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

                        [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

                        [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

                        [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

                        I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
                        sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

                        Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
                        Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
                        as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
                        <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
                        of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
                        bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
                        three would also be fine choices for your byname.

                        And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
                        in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
                        form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
                        borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
                        1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

                        [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

                        So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
                        all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
                        changed some depending on the period.

                        -Aryanhwy

                        --
                        vita sine literis mors est