Re: [SCA Newcomers] I'm New - Question about Helping Out

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2007
      Megan wrote:
      > . . .is there stuff I can do here at my house to help out like make
      > stuff or something? Because I would feel stupid joining and not
      > helping out.

      The answer to this and many other questions will depend on where you
      are. It's a good idea to mention your locale (at least your kingdom,
      but for a question this specific your local branch name is best) when
      writing to the list for information. That way, we can give you the
      most relevant answer right away. I suggest you make a habit of
      including it in your signature when you write to this group--that way,
      you won't have to make a special effort to remember to do so when
      making an inquiry.

      That said, in most branches I suspect there will be opportunities to
      contribute "working from home", as it were. Our Hospitaler, for
      instance, has lately been looking for clothing in certain size ranges
      for our loaner gear. The Baron is always accepting items he can
      distribute as largesse or give as prizes. Recently we had two major
      events for which site and feast tokens and event booklets needed to be
      made. It's time for another baronial phone book to be printed, and
      somebody has to collect and collate the information, then lay out the
      pages and arrange for printing. Every time a baronial honor is
      bestowed, someone has to paint and calligraph the scroll. We're
      sending a big contingent to Gulf Wars, and somebody had to compile
      details on who's camping in the baronial land and how big their tents
      are so the camp can be laid out logically. The barony's contribution
      to the royal gift baskets for the War were hand-painted tiles--they had
      to be painted, and storage-and-transport bags for them had to be made.
      I could go on all day, but you get the idea.

      If your local branch is smaller than mine, there may be fewer such
      opportunities, and on a smaller scale. We can do more than many
      branches because we've got a LOT of members and a comfortable cushion
      in the baronial bank account. But there will still be things that need
      to happen, and might be even more call for donations of time and
      materials. (Bryn Gwlad has the funds to print pretty menu cards for
      those eating feast at its events, for instance. A tiny shire might
      not. You could make a real difference in the atmosphere of an event by
      buying a pack of "parchment look" paper, typing out the menu in an
      attractive font, and making a run to the photocopiest's.)

      My advice is: go ahead and join. If your branch has an e-mail list,
      get put on it and watch for calls for volunteers. Ask your hospitaler
      or chatelaine (or, if your branch is too small to have one of those,
      your seneschal) where help is needed. I doubt it will be long before
      you find chances to contribute are popping up all over the place.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>