Re: [SCA Newcomers] I'm New - Question about Helping Out

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2007
      Definately contact the local group(s) in your area. Many of them do things on days other than events and official meetings. There are sewing circles, brewing days, armor making days, you name it. Find out if there are any "guilds" or other such groups in your area that do an activity your interested in and see if their get-togethers will better fit your schedule. Also, if you want to help with an event, but can't be there on the day of the event, check with the autocrat (or event co-ordinator). Sometimes set-up is the night before or tear down the day after. The people cooking can use help with prep work (cutting up veggies, baking bread, you name it). The biggest thing is to get in contact with your local group(s). Talk to people and tell them what you are interested in and about your schedule. They can either tell you if there's anything going on you'd be interested in, or they can also direct you to someone else who can. I keep saying "group(s)" because there is no set rule that says you have to go to meetings, etc for the group where you live. If there is another group nearby, check out their schedule and see if theirs fits you better. There is also no rule that says you can't play with more than one group. (although, depending on kingdom law, you may not be able to hold office for a group you don't live in). There are many people in my area (3 baronies, a shire, and several independent households in a half hour to hour and a half drive) that play with multiple groups. It's mostly fighters because they just can't get enough of beating eachother with sticks :), but also there are others who do other things. It's like one big happy family around here most of the time.
      Finally, don't feel like you have to go to everything and do everything and help with everything. Just about everyone in the SCA has a job and a family and all that other real world fun. People will understand that the real world has to come first for you. Just hop in and do what you can when you can. Most importantly, have fun! The only official requirement is to make an effort to wear medieval garb and not to run around with super modern looking things like cans of pop and such. Otherwise, your involvement level is entirely up to you.

      I hope this was helpful to you and I hope I wasn't too confusing. I tend to ramble a bit. Good luck, and let us know if you have anymore questions.

      In service,
      Isabel
      Artisan member of the Legion of the Nightmare
      Middle Kingdom