Alternative Knee/Elbow Armor?

  • incomprehensible_bob
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
      My chosen culture did not have (as far as I can tell) knee or elbow
      armor. I am looking for something that can be worn under
      clothing/chain mail.

      The handbook states that knees and elbows must be covered with a rigid
      material, it does not specifically say steel. That brought to mind
      skateboarding pads, but then I read that both sides of these joints
      have to be covered as well, and skating pads don't cover sides.

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative method of
      protection?

      Thanks
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
        Hi there!

        I'll answer your question first. Simple archers knees or elbows would meet
        the requirements and could fit under slightly baggy clothing.

        Here's an example:
        http://spiers-saddlery.stores.yahoo.net/pknco.html

        You;'d have to wear them with something like a volleyball knee pad.

        Here's another option, high impact plastic:
        http://www.alchemyarmory.com/14thcentury.html#legs

        the cops and stuff are down at the bottom.

        Now, that being said, be sure you're really comfortable going out in minimum
        armor. Unless you're achiles or hector reborn, we all take a ton of abuse,
        espescially at fighter practice. Its one thing to wear minimal armor when
        going for crown, but on a weekly basis, it would likely leave you so torn up
        that recovery time could become problematic.

        Just out of curiousity, what culture/period are you going with?

        Cailin

        On 3/4/07, incomprehensible_bob <jesusbassist@...> wrote:

        > My chosen culture did not have (as far as I can tell) knee or elbow
        > armor. I am looking for something that can be worn under
        > clothing/chain mail.
        >
        > The handbook states that knees and elbows must be covered with a rigid
        > material, it does not specifically say steel. That brought to mind
        > skateboarding pads, but then I read that both sides of these joints
        > have to be covered as well, and skating pads don't cover sides.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative method of
        > protection?
        >
        > Thanks

      • incomprehensible_bob
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
          Hey,

          I am going with 9th century Anglo-Saxon. I don't intend to go very
          lightly armored, I just want something that can be well hidden. I am
          going to have a well padded gambeson with a piece of thick leather
          sewn into it for kidney/lower spine/rib protection. I also have good
          shin guards. I have been to one practice, but haven't faught yet. This
          Thursday will be my first try at it. Other that the obvious, (helm,
          knees, elbow, groin, etc..), is there anything else you might think
          I'd need?
        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
            Well bob,

            I'd spend at least the first six fighter practices wearing hockey shoulder
            pads. There's two reasons for this.

            1. You're going to get hit in the head and shoulders. The head won't hurt at
            all if you've done your helmet up right.. But the shoulders can hurt like
            the dickens. Plus, it takes surprising little pressure to break collar
            bones, or so I've been told. I have broken mine once myself, but I did that
            falling out of bed. >.< The hockey shoulder pads provide excellent
            protection for your first practices. I've taken all manner of shots durring
            my first weeks in armor, and was none the worse for the wear.

            2. People will know you're new, and shift into training mode. Depending on
            the size of your area, this may not be as big a concern. We've got a
            largeish barony around here, so I'm always seeing new faces at fighter
            practice. There's a certain amount of danger in looking too good in the
            beginning: People will treat you accordingly, which could be detremental.
            There's nothing wrong with looking like a garage sale man at arms at first,
            since people will help you ramp up. By all means, don't stay there, but
            don't be affraid to start there.

            Hockey shoulder pads can be had at most used sporting goods stores. I got
            mine for 15 bucks. They now adorn my pell, and act as targets, as I've moved
            on to stainless pauldrons. Some nights I fight without them. I don't get
            hit in the shoulders much at all anymore, so I took them off for speed. But
            thats a risk I chose to take, and never would have done so my first nights
            out.

            Another thing I would recomend looking into is a good pair of cuisses. These
            are essentially gambesons for your thighs.They're a nice light alternative
            to splinted leg armor, or plate leg armor. Basically, You can wear them
            under baggy pants, and attach either of those cops I showed you in my
            previous e-mail to them. Also, if you or anyone you know have reasonable
            sewing skills, you can make them your self. Alot of guys around here are
            using them and seem to be happy with them.

            The other thing to pay attention to is the quality of your vambraces. One
            solid shot to a bad vambrace/gauntlet can ruin your night. I use a heavy
            leather vambrace with three steel splints over a gambeson, and it has done
            nicely for me.

            One thing I see alot of people do that I would stay away from is steel toed
            boots. Some of these guys are huge, and weigh enough to cave in a steel toe
            boot on your toes. It hurts like hell from what I've observed. One friend of
            mine in ansteorra actually had to be cut out of her boots.

            Hope this helps!