I'm New - Question about Helping Out

  • magikaleyes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 8:05 AM
      Hi. I'm going to be joing the SCA I think here really soon. But I have
      a question. I know they prefer if you're pretty active in
      participating. However if I'm going to school and working full time, is
      there anywhere I can help out besides maybe attending and volunteering
      at events? If I can go to those that is? Like... is there stuff I can
      do here at my house to help out like make stuff or something? Because I
      would feel stupid joining and not helping out. Please let me know.
      Megan
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5 2:36 PM
        Megan wrote:
        > . . .is there stuff I can do here at my house to help out like make
        > stuff or something? Because I would feel stupid joining and not
        > helping out.

        The answer to this and many other questions will depend on where you
        are. It's a good idea to mention your locale (at least your kingdom,
        but for a question this specific your local branch name is best) when
        writing to the list for information. That way, we can give you the
        most relevant answer right away. I suggest you make a habit of
        including it in your signature when you write to this group--that way,
        you won't have to make a special effort to remember to do so when
        making an inquiry.

        That said, in most branches I suspect there will be opportunities to
        contribute "working from home", as it were. Our Hospitaler, for
        instance, has lately been looking for clothing in certain size ranges
        for our loaner gear. The Baron is always accepting items he can
        distribute as largesse or give as prizes. Recently we had two major
        events for which site and feast tokens and event booklets needed to be
        made. It's time for another baronial phone book to be printed, and
        somebody has to collect and collate the information, then lay out the
        pages and arrange for printing. Every time a baronial honor is
        bestowed, someone has to paint and calligraph the scroll. We're
        sending a big contingent to Gulf Wars, and somebody had to compile
        details on who's camping in the baronial land and how big their tents
        are so the camp can be laid out logically. The barony's contribution
        to the royal gift baskets for the War were hand-painted tiles--they had
        to be painted, and storage-and-transport bags for them had to be made.
        I could go on all day, but you get the idea.

        If your local branch is smaller than mine, there may be fewer such
        opportunities, and on a smaller scale. We can do more than many
        branches because we've got a LOT of members and a comfortable cushion
        in the baronial bank account. But there will still be things that need
        to happen, and might be even more call for donations of time and
        materials. (Bryn Gwlad has the funds to print pretty menu cards for
        those eating feast at its events, for instance. A tiny shire might
        not. You could make a real difference in the atmosphere of an event by
        buying a pack of "parchment look" paper, typing out the menu in an
        attractive font, and making a run to the photocopiest's.)

        My advice is: go ahead and join. If your branch has an e-mail list,
        get put on it and watch for calls for volunteers. Ask your hospitaler
        or chatelaine (or, if your branch is too small to have one of those,
        your seneschal) where help is needed. I doubt it will be long before
        you find chances to contribute are popping up all over the place.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>