Re: [SCA Newcomers] Opinions on name and device please?

  • sarac76srvy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

      > It isn't - for all sources, including ones where photocopies are
      required,
      > you have to summarized what the source says. In the case of R&W,
      this is
      > usually just a matter of noting what dates are given for the particular
      > spelling you wish to register.

      Thank you! This is exactly the information I was seeking.

      > > Regarding my device: after much sketching and fiddling about, I have
      > > decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
      > > cotised.
      >
      > That's lovely! A bit of re-blazoning - the primary charge should come
      > first, then secondaries, then tertiaries. This gives us: "Vert, on a
      > pale cotised argent, three apples gules".
      > >snip<
      > Unfortunately, though, I did find a conflict - Juturna di Parma (reg.
      > 08/1994 via the West), "Vert, on a pale endorsed argent three roundels
      > vert." A pale endorsed is the same thing as a pale cotised, so there's
      > only one CD, for changing the roundels to apples.
      >
      > You could try tracking Juturna down to see if she'd be willing to give
      > you permission to conflict.
      >
      > -Aryanhwy

      I had wondered a little about the order of the blazoning. :) Thank you.

      So what you are saying is that I am unlikely to get this one approved
      unless I have permission to conflict from Juturna? Or I need to add
      something (or change something) in order for there to be enough of a
      difference that there is no conflict? For example: Vert, on a pale
      ermine, three apples gules _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised argent, three
      apples gules, all within a bordure argent _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised
      argent between two oak leaves argent, three apples gules. (Not sure
      about the blazoning of the last one, but it's just an example at this
      point.) :)

      Well, my second choice that I had worked out was the following: Vert,
      on a pall cotised argent, four apples gules.(My concern with this one
      was whether or not it was implied just _where_ the apples should go. I
      basically want them in pall, but I don't know if I have to specify
      that or if it is a 'given'.)

      And again, thank you for your help.
      Sara
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        Quoth "sarac76srvy":
        > > > decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
        > > > cotised.
        > >
        > > Unfortunately, though, I did find a conflict - Juturna di Parma (reg.
        > > 08/1994 via the West), "Vert, on a pale endorsed argent three roundels
        > > vert." A pale endorsed is the same thing as a pale cotised, so there's
        > > only one CD, for changing the roundels to apples.
        >
        > So what you are saying is that I am unlikely to get this one approved
        > unless I have permission to conflict from Juturna?

        That's right - the design above wouldn't be registerable without permission
        to conflict.

        > Or I need to add
        > something (or change something) in order for there to be enough of a
        > difference that there is no conflict?

        You could also do that.

        > For example: Vert, on a pale
        > ermine, three apples gules

        This would definitely be clear of Juturna, with a CD for the changes
        to the charges on the pale, a CD for removing the cotises, and a CD
        for the tincture of the pale. There are very few charged ermine
        pales registered, and I didn't find any new conflicts.

        > _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised argent, three
        > apples gules, all within a bordure argent

        This one also looks clear to me.

        > _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised
        > argent between two oak leaves argent, three apples gules. (Not sure
        > about the blazoning of the last one, but it's just an example at this
        > point.) :)

        Your blazon is correct, and this also looks conflict free.

        > Well, my second choice that I had worked out was the following: Vert,
        > on a pall cotised argent, four apples gules.(My concern with this one
        > was whether or not it was implied just _where_ the apples should go. I
        > basically want them in pall, but I don't know if I have to specify
        > that or if it is a 'given'.)

        Usually charges are distributed on an ordinary in the way that fills
        the space best; with four charges in pall, I'd expect there to be one
        on each leg, and one in the center. I didn't see any conflicts with this,
        either.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
          Thank you, milady. Now my only difficulty is deciding which one! Back
          to the sketchbook, I suppose...

          :)
          Sara
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
            Quoth "sarac76srvy":
            > Thank you, milady. Now my only difficulty is deciding which one! Back
            > to the sketchbook, I suppose...

            Some advice which I found *very* helpful when I was deciding on my
            own arms - draw all of them up, color them in, and put them someplace
            you'll see them regularly and keep them there for at least two weeks
            (the fridge and the bathroom mirror are two good places). After the
            end of that time, see which ones you still like!

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/