Opinions on name and device please?

  • sarac76srvy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
      Greetings. I was wondering if I could get a couple of opinions on a
      name and device for my persona before I fill out the forms to register
      them.

      My persona is a merchant lady/merchant's wife from England around 1300
      or so. My 'working name' so far is Juliana de Barowe. I didn't find
      any conflicts in the online OandA. I can find documentation online for
      both names in "An Index to the 1296 Lay Subsidy Rolls for Rutland,
      England" by Karen Larsdatter, which is based on Dr. D. A. Postles'
      "Rutland Lay Subsidy Rolls". My concern is that the link that refers
      back to his page no longer points to the article in question, and I
      can't seem to find his original (online) article.

      I found 'Juliana' listed on this page:
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/Rutland/given-fem-alpha.htm

      And I found 'de Barowe' listed on this page:
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/Rutland/bynamesalphabetically.htm

      Can I use these sites as documentation for the names? If so, how would
      I use this to send in documentation? Both pages are within the SCA
      site itself, so would a printout of the page that includes the URL
      suffice? If not, I will be able to make a trip to Clemson next week
      where they have a copy of Reaney's "A Dictionary of English Surnames",
      so if I can find both names in there, I should be good to go.
      (Question regarding documentation from Reaney: that book is on the
      list of books that does not require photocopies. I would assume, then,
      that a simple reference to page number would be enough?)

      Regarding my device: after much sketching and fiddling about, I have
      decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
      cotised. (Sorry I don't have a sketch online!) I couldn't find any
      conflicts in the Armorial... apparently apples are not terribly common
      in the first place, and when they do appear, they are not often by
      themselves. The nearest conflict I could come up with is that of the
      flag of Nigeria, which is "Vert, a pale argent". Would the apples and
      the pale cotised be enough of a difference to not have to worry about
      that?

      Any help or opinions will be much appreciated.

      Sara
      Canton of St. Georges in the Kingdom of Atlantia
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        Quoth "sarac76srvy":
        > My persona is a merchant lady/merchant's wife from England around 1300
        > or so. My 'working name' so far is Juliana de Barowe. I didn't find
        > any conflicts in the online OandA. I can find documentation online for
        > both names in "An Index to the 1296 Lay Subsidy Rolls for Rutland,
        > England" by Karen Larsdatter, which is based on Dr. D. A. Postles'
        > "Rutland Lay Subsidy Rolls". My concern is that the link that refers
        > back to his page no longer points to the article in question, and I
        > can't seem to find his original (online) article.

        The original article by Postles has unfortunately not been available
        for quite some time now. However, there are alternate places that
        you can document this name. In particular, Withycombe _Oxford Dictionary
        of English Christian Names_ s.n. Juliana has information about this name.
        It is a Latinization of the feminine name <Julian>, <Julyan>, or
        <Gillian>; <Julian>, its variants, and its pet forms were "one of the
        commonest girl's names from the 12th to 15th C" (in England). The
        spelling <Juliana> is appropriate in Latin contexts - such as written
        documents, court records, and university settings (where Latin was
        spoken). In every day English conversation, the name would've been
        <Julian>, <Julyan>, or one of the other forms.

        > And I found 'de Barowe' listed on this page:
        > http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/Rutland/bynamesalphabetically.htm
        >
        > Can I use these sites as documentation for the names?

        Yes.

        > If so, how would
        > I use this to send in documentation? Both pages are within the SCA
        > site itself, so would a printout of the page that includes the URL
        > suffice?

        Because these are web pages whose URLS begin www.sca.org/heraldry,
        you do not need to include printed copies. What you do need is to
        provide a summary of the data - that is, the source, the author, the
        URL, the date accessed, and a statement about what the source says
        about the elements.

        > so if I can find both names in there, I should be good to go.
        > (Question regarding documentation from Reaney: that book is on the
        > list of books that does not require photocopies. I would assume, then,
        > that a simple reference to page number would be enough?)

        It isn't - for all sources, including ones where photocopies are required,
        you have to summarized what the source says. In the case of R&W, this is
        usually just a matter of noting what dates are given for the particular
        spelling you wish to register.

        > Regarding my device: after much sketching and fiddling about, I have
        > decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
        > cotised.

        That's lovely! A bit of re-blazoning - the primary charge should come
        first, then secondaries, then tertiaries. This gives us: "Vert, on a
        pale cotised argent, three apples gules".

        > I couldn't find any
        > conflicts in the Armorial... apparently apples are not terribly common
        > in the first place, and when they do appear, they are not often by
        > themselves. The nearest conflict I could come up with is that of the
        > flag of Nigeria, which is "Vert, a pale argent". Would the apples and
        > the pale cotised be enough of a difference to not have to worry about
        > that?

        Yes - you've got one CD for adding the apples, and one for adding the
        cotises. Another close, but clear, design is Melucine de Ronceverte
        (reg. 09/1980 via Meridies), "Vert, on a pale argent a greenbriar slip
        vert." There's one CD for adding the cotises, and another for changing
        the slip to three apples.

        Unfortunately, though, I did find a conflict - Juturna di Parma (reg.
        08/1994 via the West), "Vert, on a pale endorsed argent three roundels
        vert." A pale endorsed is the same thing as a pale cotised, so there's
        only one CD, for changing the roundels to apples.

        You could try tracking Juturna down to see if she'd be willing to give
        you permission to conflict.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

          > It isn't - for all sources, including ones where photocopies are
          required,
          > you have to summarized what the source says. In the case of R&W,
          this is
          > usually just a matter of noting what dates are given for the particular
          > spelling you wish to register.

          Thank you! This is exactly the information I was seeking.

          > > Regarding my device: after much sketching and fiddling about, I have
          > > decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
          > > cotised.
          >
          > That's lovely! A bit of re-blazoning - the primary charge should come
          > first, then secondaries, then tertiaries. This gives us: "Vert, on a
          > pale cotised argent, three apples gules".
          > >snip<
          > Unfortunately, though, I did find a conflict - Juturna di Parma (reg.
          > 08/1994 via the West), "Vert, on a pale endorsed argent three roundels
          > vert." A pale endorsed is the same thing as a pale cotised, so there's
          > only one CD, for changing the roundels to apples.
          >
          > You could try tracking Juturna down to see if she'd be willing to give
          > you permission to conflict.
          >
          > -Aryanhwy

          I had wondered a little about the order of the blazoning. :) Thank you.

          So what you are saying is that I am unlikely to get this one approved
          unless I have permission to conflict from Juturna? Or I need to add
          something (or change something) in order for there to be enough of a
          difference that there is no conflict? For example: Vert, on a pale
          ermine, three apples gules _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised argent, three
          apples gules, all within a bordure argent _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised
          argent between two oak leaves argent, three apples gules. (Not sure
          about the blazoning of the last one, but it's just an example at this
          point.) :)

          Well, my second choice that I had worked out was the following: Vert,
          on a pall cotised argent, four apples gules.(My concern with this one
          was whether or not it was implied just _where_ the apples should go. I
          basically want them in pall, but I don't know if I have to specify
          that or if it is a 'given'.)

          And again, thank you for your help.
          Sara
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
            Quoth "sarac76srvy":
            > > > decided on the following: Vert, three apples gules on a pale argent
            > > > cotised.
            > >
            > > Unfortunately, though, I did find a conflict - Juturna di Parma (reg.
            > > 08/1994 via the West), "Vert, on a pale endorsed argent three roundels
            > > vert." A pale endorsed is the same thing as a pale cotised, so there's
            > > only one CD, for changing the roundels to apples.
            >
            > So what you are saying is that I am unlikely to get this one approved
            > unless I have permission to conflict from Juturna?

            That's right - the design above wouldn't be registerable without permission
            to conflict.

            > Or I need to add
            > something (or change something) in order for there to be enough of a
            > difference that there is no conflict?

            You could also do that.

            > For example: Vert, on a pale
            > ermine, three apples gules

            This would definitely be clear of Juturna, with a CD for the changes
            to the charges on the pale, a CD for removing the cotises, and a CD
            for the tincture of the pale. There are very few charged ermine
            pales registered, and I didn't find any new conflicts.

            > _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised argent, three
            > apples gules, all within a bordure argent

            This one also looks clear to me.

            > _OR_ Vert, on a pale cotised
            > argent between two oak leaves argent, three apples gules. (Not sure
            > about the blazoning of the last one, but it's just an example at this
            > point.) :)

            Your blazon is correct, and this also looks conflict free.

            > Well, my second choice that I had worked out was the following: Vert,
            > on a pall cotised argent, four apples gules.(My concern with this one
            > was whether or not it was implied just _where_ the apples should go. I
            > basically want them in pall, but I don't know if I have to specify
            > that or if it is a 'given'.)

            Usually charges are distributed on an ordinary in the way that fills
            the space best; with four charges in pall, I'd expect there to be one
            on each leg, and one in the center. I didn't see any conflicts with this,
            either.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
              Thank you, milady. Now my only difficulty is deciding which one! Back
              to the sketchbook, I suppose...

              :)
              Sara
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
                Quoth "sarac76srvy":
                > Thank you, milady. Now my only difficulty is deciding which one! Back
                > to the sketchbook, I suppose...

                Some advice which I found *very* helpful when I was deciding on my
                own arms - draw all of them up, color them in, and put them someplace
                you'll see them regularly and keep them there for at least two weeks
                (the fridge and the bathroom mirror are two good places). After the
                end of that time, see which ones you still like!

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/