Re: [SCA Newcomers] Medieval Research

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2 4:07 PM
      In a message dated 2/28/2007 8:42:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      sphef@... writes:

      <<My professor is having me look at primary sources
      on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
      disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
      referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
      the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
      any sources that may aid me in my research.>>

      Your best bet is probably going to be either saint's lives - some number of
      whom were viewed as holy by virtue of how they dealt with chronic illness -
      or personal accounts and journals or official inquest records. I do know that
      Barbara Hanawalt who has written a number of tertiary sources such as "The
      Ties That Bound" and "Growing Up in Medieval London" used coroner's records
      and similar primary sources to get the information for her books, and there are
      some mentions of people begging who had disabilities, one case in which a
      blind woman was set to supervising a toddler who was killed when he ran into the
      street and was run over by a carriage, etc. While her books wouldn't meet
      your professor's requirements, she has extensive bibliographies which might
      help you locate some of her sources.

      Lancaster, PA
      http://www.aol.com