Re: [SCA Newcomers] Medieval Research

  • Stephanie Burnette
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi Justin,
      That would be fantastic! I tried applying to the
      group but I suppose my application wasnt what they
      were looking for! I would greatly appreciate your
      help! Thank you so much!
      --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
        In a message dated 2/28/2007 8:42:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        sphef@... writes:

        <<My professor is having me look at primary sources
        on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
        disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
        referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
        the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
        any sources that may aid me in my research.>>

        Your best bet is probably going to be either saint's lives - some number of
        whom were viewed as holy by virtue of how they dealt with chronic illness -
        or personal accounts and journals or official inquest records. I do know that
        Barbara Hanawalt who has written a number of tertiary sources such as "The
        Ties That Bound" and "Growing Up in Medieval London" used coroner's records
        and similar primary sources to get the information for her books, and there are
        some mentions of people begging who had disabilities, one case in which a
        blind woman was set to supervising a toddler who was killed when he ran into the
        street and was run over by a carriage, etc. While her books wouldn't meet
        your professor's requirements, she has extensive bibliographies which might
        help you locate some of her sources.

        Lancaster, PA
        http://www.aol.com