Medieval Research

  • sphef
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
      I am a History major at SUNY Oswego in Oswego NY. I am currently
      working on an independent study here on Chronic illness and disability
      in the middle ages. My professor is having me look at primary sources
      on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
      disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
      referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
      the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
      any sources that may aid me in my research. Thank you for your time.
      Sincerely,
      Stephanie Burnette
    • Karen Pate
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
        You've chosen a difficult topic, with a dearth of primary sources available.
        If you're an undergrad, I'm frankly surprised that your professor didn't try
        to convince you to tweak this topic a bit. Give yourself plenty of time,
        and understand that you're going to need to put some extra effort into this
        topic. Be sure to take advantage of your campus librarians' awesome ability
        to help you find anything and everything. A good librarian is worth his/
        her weight in gold, and almost always entirely enthusiastic about helping.
        GO. ASK.

        I did my history thesis on epidemiology in the Middle Ages, which isn't a
        tremendous amount of help for dealing with ongoing illness, but I do know
        that a great place to start finding primary sources is when they're
        referenced in the works of today's "iconic" Medieval scholars-Norman Cantor,
        David Herlihy, and-to some extent (if you're undergraduate)-Frances and
        Joseph Gies. Look at what these scholars cite in their works. Carol
        Rawliffe has a book Cantor uses called Medicine and Society in Late Medieval
        England. Take a look at William H. McNeill's Plagues and People, which I
        think may give you the best help. I would certainly take a look at
        documents such as The Decameron (although, as this deals with the plague, it
        won't really address long-term issues) and The Canterbury Tales.

        An interesting facet of medicine as it moves from the Medieval to the early
        modern is watching what happens to the issue of who's doing the actual
        treating. David Herlihy's Opera Muliebra and Merry Wiesner's Women and
        Gender in Early Modern Europe can give you some good starting places with
        that. This could be a good "tweak".

        I've tried to keep my comments short and introductory here. However, please
        feel free to keep in touch if you need more help. As a librarian and a
        historian, I live for this!

        Best of luck,

        Cym/ KR Pate BA, MA, MSLIS

        _____

        I am a History major at SUNY Oswego in Oswego NY. I am currently
        working on an independent study here on Chronic illness and disability
        in the middle ages. My professor is having me look at primary sources
        on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
        disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
        referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
        the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
        any sources that may aid me in my research. Thank you for your time.
        Sincerely,
        Stephanie Burnette

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
          > . . .My professor is having me look at primary sources on the
          > topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
          > disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had.. . .

          I don't have any primary sources to share with you. I can point to a
          secondary source--a 1575 painting by Pieter Aertsen
          <http://www.wga.hu/html/a/aertsen/apostles.html> showing a woman in a
          large basket with rockers (or maybe skids), a man in a wheelbarrow, and
          others that appear to have disabilities of one sort or another. It
          might give you some indications of ways that people coped with chronic
          mobility problems, at least. . .or perhaps furnish graphics for your
          report.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
            On Wednesday 28 February 2007 00:57, sphef wrote:
            [...]
            > My professor is having me look at primary sources
            > on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
            > disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
            > referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
            > the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
            > any sources that may aid me in my research.

            Hello, Stephanie

            In the SCA, we have a group of people called Chirurgeons who volunteer as
            first aid providers. Although our delivered first aid is (of course) done
            according to modern methods, a number of our Chirurgeons have an interest
            in period healthcare and medical practices. As a Chirurgeon myself, I am
            acquainted with several individuals with some expertise in this area. If
            you are willing to give permission, I will forward your email address and
            query to several of these acquaintances to see if they may be able to
            assist you. Please let me know if this is okay with you.

            Kind regards,

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Stephanie Burnette
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
              Hi Justin,
              That would be fantastic! I tried applying to the
              group but I suppose my application wasnt what they
              were looking for! I would greatly appreciate your
              help! Thank you so much!
              --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

              Cheap talk?
              http://voice.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
                In a message dated 2/28/2007 8:42:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                sphef@... writes:

                <<My professor is having me look at primary sources
                on the topic...searching for mentions of how the individual with the
                disability or chronic illness coped with whatever they had. I was
                referred to here by my fiance's mother who is as much interested in
                the middle ages as I am. I am just curious to know if anyone knows of
                any sources that may aid me in my research.>>

                Your best bet is probably going to be either saint's lives - some number of
                whom were viewed as holy by virtue of how they dealt with chronic illness -
                or personal accounts and journals or official inquest records. I do know that
                Barbara Hanawalt who has written a number of tertiary sources such as "The
                Ties That Bound" and "Growing Up in Medieval London" used coroner's records
                and similar primary sources to get the information for her books, and there are
                some mentions of people begging who had disabilities, one case in which a
                blind woman was set to supervising a toddler who was killed when he ran into the
                street and was run over by a carriage, etc. While her books wouldn't meet
                your professor's requirements, she has extensive bibliographies which might
                help you locate some of her sources.

                Lancaster, PA
                http://www.aol.com