Bardic circle

  • Cym
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
      Gracious lords and ladies,

      My local group, Torre de Brazos, is hosting a small Bardic Circle next
      month. I'm excited about it, but not really sure what all happens/ is
      expected of me. I'd be very happy to just watch and enjoy, but is
      that . . . enough? Or do I need to do . . . something? If so, I beg
      the favor of your advice, as I am she-who-is-clueless.

      Thankfully yours,
      Cym "She-Who-Is-Clueless" Lloyd fferch Llewellyn
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
        On Monday 26 February 2007 20:26, Cym wrote:
        > I'd be very happy to just watch and enjoy, but is
        > that . . . enough?

        Absolutely!

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Crystal ortiz
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
          Greetings! HELLO!
          I don't post to this list very often...but I saw the subject and just HAD to!
          Quite honestly dear lady - at every event here in Trimaris (Florida) I look forward to the evening fire and the bardic circles. Seeing old friends, laughter - Old stories and new ones...It is at these times that ALOT of people will tell you how they got involved in the SCA. It is how I really got to know a good deal of people. The songs sung stick in your head for DAYS afterward (you've been warned) So...all in all...I love 'em.

          -Christiana of Bentonshire

          Cym <cym.lloyd@...> wrote:
          Gracious lords and ladies,

          My local group, Torre de Brazos, is hosting a small Bardic Circle next
          month. I'm excited about it, but not really sure what all happens/ is
          expected of me. I'd be very happy to just watch and enjoy, but is
          that . . . enough? Or do I need to do . . . something? If so, I beg
          the favor of your advice, as I am she-who-is-clueless.

          Thankfully yours,
          Cym "She-Who-Is-Clueless" Lloyd fferch Llewellyn

        • David H-
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
            I went to my first SCA event a couple of weeks ago and the highlight of the
            weekend for me was the bardic part. I wanted to sing along with everyone
            else on the songs but don't know them. Is there a web link for SCA songs
            maybe even with a midi file to help learn the melodies?

            David

            >From: Crystal ortiz <impressionist101@...>
            >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Bardic circle
            >Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:01:07 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >Greetings! HELLO!
            > I don't post to this list very often...but I saw the subject and just
            >HAD to!
            > Quite honestly dear lady - at every event here in Trimaris (Florida) I
            >look forward to the evening fire and the bardic circles. Seeing old
            >friends, laughter - Old stories and new ones...It is at these times that
            >ALOT of people will tell you how they got involved in the SCA. It is how I
            >really got to know a good deal of people. The songs sung stick in your head
            >for DAYS afterward (you've been warned) So...all in all...I love 'em.
            >
            > -Christiana of Bentonshire
            >
            >Cym <cym.lloyd@...> wrote:
            > Gracious lords and ladies,
            >
            >My local group, Torre de Brazos, is hosting a small Bardic Circle next
            >month. I'm excited about it, but not really sure what all happens/ is
            >expected of me. I'd be very happy to just watch and enjoy, but is
            >that . . . enough? Or do I need to do . . . something? If so, I beg
            >the favor of your advice, as I am she-who-is-clueless.
            >
            >Thankfully yours,
            >Cym "She-Who-Is-Clueless" Lloyd fferch Llewellyn

            Find what you need at prices you�ll love. Compare products and save at MSN�
            Shopping.
            http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701
          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
              David wrote:

              > Is there a web link for SCA songs maybe even with a midi file to help
              > learn the melodies?

              There are quite a lot of sites with lyrics, and a few with sound clips.
              The Atlantian A&S Links include a whole category full of them
              <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
              action=displaycat&catid=395>.

              You didn't mention where you are (naughty, naughty!). If it happens to
              be Ansteorra, you'll also want to visit the Ansteorran Bardic Guild
              site <http://bard.ansteorra.org/>. Under "files", you'll find _Voices
              of the Star_, a songbook featuring Ansteorran songs.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
                > Is there a web link for SCA songs maybe even with a midi file to help
                > learn the melodies?

                The songs sung at bardic circles are going to vary quite a bit from
                place to place. At almost all of the circles I've been to, there've
                been a couple of people who've brought song books, usually filled
                with the local favorites and traditional songs, and most are more than
                happy to share with another singer. If it's someone who lives near
                where you do, then you can always ask to borrow it to make a copy
                for yourself.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
                  Thank you for the links. Yes, I am in Ansteorra- Northern Region, and
                  because of work bouncing a bit from Northkeep to Namron & Skorrgardr. Now,
                  I wish I remembered the opening line/refrain of the songs I heard at Axeman.
                  I'll ask around or I'll just have to learn them all :-)

                  Voices of the Star is great. Thanks again.

                  David

                  >From: Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>
                  >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] learning SCA songs (was: Bardic circle)
                  >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:12:45 -0600
                  >
                  >David wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is there a web link for SCA songs maybe even with a midi file to help
                  > > learn the melodies?
                  >

                  >There are quite a lot of sites with lyrics, and a few with sound clips.
                  > The Atlantian A&S Links include a whole category full of them
                  ><http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
                  >action=displaycat&catid=395>.
                  >
                  >You didn't mention where you are (naughty, naughty!). If it happens to
                  >be Ansteorra, you'll also want to visit the Ansteorran Bardic Guild
                  >site <http://bard.ansteorra.org/>. Under "files", you'll find _Voices
                  >of the Star_, a songbook featuring Ansteorran songs.
                  >

                  >Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  >Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  >Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  ><mailto:Coblaith@...>