simple clothes (was: hi!)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
      Jacoba the Unpredictable wrote:
      > . . .I'm trying to get ready for my first war that's coming up this
      > weekend. I was wondering, does anyone know where I can get a simple
      > plan for a skirt?

      If you just want a simple skirt, look to one of these sites:

      Kashmir's "Making a Circle Skirt"
      <http://www.raqs.co.nz/howto/skirt.html>
      Shira's "Making a Circle Skirt" <http://www.shira.net/make-cskirt.htm>

      "How to Make a Tiered Skirt", from the Costume Goddess
      <http://www.costumegoddess.com/tierskirt.htm>
      "Peasant Skirt Instructions", from j caroline creative
      <http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
      Store_Code=JC&Screen=PSKIRT>

      "Making a Hybrid Tiered Skirt", from the Costume Goddess
      <http://www.costumegoddess.com/hybrid.htm>

      "Pattern for Half-Circle Skirts", from Jan Bruyndonckx
      <http://users.telenet.be/jbruyndonckx/pattern1.html>

      If you want something simple-to-make that was actually worn in the
      Middle Ages or Renaissance, however, you don't want a skirt. I
      recommend you try a simple tunic, made using period construction
      techniques like those outlined in Jane Stockton's "Getting Started with
      Tunics"
      <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/
      jane_stockton_getting_started_with_tunics_A4.pdf>. They were worn from
      the beginning of the core SCA millennium almost to the end, all over
      Europe (with some variations in details like the shapes of sleeves and
      necklines and the placement and type of trim), by people of all ages
      and both sexes. They're economical of fabric and easy to make, and can
      be dressed up or down easily. And they're just about as simple-to-make
      as anything could be.

      Add a coif <http://www.virtue.to/articles/coif.html>, hood
      <http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html>, or veil
      <http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html>, a plain leather belt with a
      simple buckle, a pouch or satchel (or both) to keep your "stuff" in
      <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
      action=displaycat&catid=288>, and some unobtrusive shoes (or period
      ones <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM>),
      and you'll have a complete, plausible, inexpensive outfit that you will
      still be happy to wear in 5 years' time, even if you've developed an
      interest in authenticity by then. (If you decide on a Renaissance
      persona, you'll still want some simple running-to-the-privy or
      setting-up-the-tent clothes that don't break the event mood.)

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Deborah
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
        Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?

        Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.

        I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)

        i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D

        i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.
      • Dunecan
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
          Where are you from? I'm sure there are tons of sites you can use to gather some info but nothing beats hanging out with people and hearing stories

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

          Deborah <debbybutler@...> wrote:

          >Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?
          >
          >Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.
          >
          >I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)
          >
          >i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D
          >
          >i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.

        • D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
            On 12 Feb 2013, at 9:48 AM, Deborah wrote:

            > Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?
            >
            > Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.
            >
            > I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook)
            >
            > i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D
            >
            > i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name.

            First of all, WELCOME! You're definitely in the right place for making connections and asking questions. We hope you'll have fun playing in the SCA with us. Since you have a tent and sleeping bag, you're ahead of where I was when I joined in 2010, so well done. ;) It's great that you're so enthusiastic and interested in so many things. That's the best feeling -- knowing that whatever you're into, there are other SCAdians (SCA people) who are also into it, who may be able to help you get started or continue learning what you've already begun to do.

            Where are you living (country, province/state, town or region)? We're all over the world! Let us help you find your local group, so you can get to know people in your area. Most of our events (garbed gatherings, usually on weekends) are family friendly, though some activities (usually un-garbed, usually weekdays, often in people's homes) are and some aren't; just find something on your group's monthly calendar and ask your local group about it.

            The best people to ask about your proposed persona name are heralds. There are heralds' mailing lists (SCA-wide, as well as kingdom and local lists), Facebook groups, and of course you can always ask your local chatelaine to direct you to the next monthly heralds' meeting. They'll be able to help you settle on a name and, if you wish, a device to represent yourself. Depending on how much you enjoy watching/listening to their process as they help you out, you might find yourself with another new interest as well.

            The thing to know above all other things is: Any question you care to ask here (or anywhere in the SCA, really) is absolutely okay. There aren't any stupid questions. There are only questions for which you don't know the answers, and that's to be expected of anything at which you're new. Everyone here either has similar questions, or once had them. Go ahead and speak up. :)
            D'vorah bint Da'ud
            Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
            Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
            dvorah@...
            http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
            Twitter: @DvorahSCA
            Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

            If you have a parrot, and don't teach it to say "Help, they've trapped me in the body of a parrot!" you are wasting everyone's time.
          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
              Deborah asked:
              <<< Im a newbie to sca, and just wondering if someone could please correspond with me about basic stuff i need to know?

              Im honestly rather clueless, other than I need to make garb, and guys that fight with swords are hawt. I have tent, and sleeping bag.

              You might want to take a look at the NEWCOMERS section in the Florilegium. The address is given in my signature block below.

              <<< I just joined another group that will teach me how to cook sca food. (yay i love to cook) >>>

              There are a number of sections in the Florilegium having to do with cooking such as:
              Feast-Reviews Feasts Food
              Food-Books Food-Breads-Grains Food-By-Region
              Food-Condiments Food-Dairy Food-Fruits
              Food-Manuscripts Food-Meats Food-Sweets
              Food-Utensils Food-Vegetables

              I also have a section dedicated specifically to BEVERAGES.

              There is also a CLOTHING section.

              If you have a particular type of food or a culture that you are interested in, send me an email or post here and I'd be happy to suggest various files that might interest you.

              <<< i will be going to my first garb making meeting, but i would like to make connections, and kind of help my shire get a little better organized. i am hoping to make connections that can kind of teach me about the sca organization in general, and ideas for fun shire parties that are family friendly. :D >>>

              Perhaps some of the games and files in the CHILDREN section might be of interest. There are also at least a pair of articles there on making clothing for children.

              <<< i am working on a scottish persona: lark macintosh. Please let me know if this is an acceptable name. >>>

              I'm not a name herald, so I'd hate to hazard a guess.

              But perhaps these files, from your earlier comments, might be of interest?
              cl-Scot-fem-art (14K) 7/ 2/96 Scottish women's clothing.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-fem-art.html

              cl-Scot-male-art (18K) 6/20/96 Scottish men's clothing.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scot-male-art.html

              cl-Scotland-msg (120K) 6/17/12 Clothing of Scotland. folding of kilts.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Scotland-msg.html

              Kilts-1590-art (20K) 2/13/11 "More than you ever wanted to know about the
              kilt" by Lord Gregor Mac Beathain.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Kilts-1590-art.html

              Scotland-lnks (20K) 10/12/03 Web links to medieval Scotland
              by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-lnks.html

              Scotland-msg (72K) 2/25/12 Scottish culture. Who lived where. Medieval
              points of interest. The Orkney Islands.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Scotland-msg.html

              fd-Scotland-msg (66K) 8/21/10 Medieval food of Scotland. Recipes.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scotland-msg.html

              fd-Scot-11thC-art (45K) 10/16/10 "Food of 11th Century Scotland" by
              THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scot-11tC-art.html

              Stefan
              --------