Re: [SCA Newcomers] Researching a name

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2007
      Quoth "Marcy":
      > My name is Marcy, and I know that my name has French origins. My name
      > is derived from "Marcella", but I'm having trouble finding any dates
      > on its origin or use in society. I'd really like to use this as part
      > of my registered name, but I feel as if I'm at a dead end on my hunt.
      >
      > Any help, or direction to sites, would be greatly appreciated.

      Have you looked through the articles in the Medieval Names Archive yet?

      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
        I have deviated a bit from my previous name I was looking into. I'm
        leaning towards Marta or Ysabelle. Surname-wise, I'm looking at Blanc
        or Bertrand. I'm going to do some more research on this stuff, but
        with this being the week before GW, it's quite hectic, plus I've got
        art projects out the wazoo for school!

        More to come later after I get more time to look into things.
      • Marcy
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
          Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
          haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2007
            Quoth "Marcy":
            > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
            > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.

            And language/culture is French, right?

            -Ary

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
              Greetings all,
              I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
              I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
              Thanks in advance,T.E.
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                Quoth "T.E.Dragon":
                > Greetings all,
                > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

                Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

                http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/northern_oaken.htm

                I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford.org/) or perhaps
                Ath Dreagain/Dragon's ford (http://www.geocities.com/stephielbrown/).

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Welcome to North Oaken! Lots of fun and great people around here.
                  ~Isabel
                  Artisan Member of Legion of the Night Mare
                  North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

                  > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..

                  Here's a clickable map of the groups in Ohio:

                  http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Oaken_Pages/ northern_ oaken.htm

                  I think you'd be in Alderford (http://alderford. org/) or perhaps
                  Ath Dreagain/Dragon' s ford (http://www.geocitie s.com/stephielbr own/).

                  -Aryanhwy

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                • Marcy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Yes, language/culture would be French.

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                    > Quoth "Marcy":
                    > > Hehe, I forgot. My period would be roughly 14-16th century. I
                    > > haven't pinned down a specific time just yet.
                    >
                    > And language/culture is French, right?
                    >
                    > -Ary
                    >

                    > --
                    > vita sine literis mors est
                    > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                      On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                      > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                      > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....

                      Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in Alderford (which
                      is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.

                      If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there are several
                      of us from that shire on this list. :-)

                      Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                      Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                      Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

                      In any case, welcome to the area!

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • T.E.Dragon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Thanks to all who replied......
                        Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county....near a
                        small place called Fairveiw.....both are on I 70...though I'll be
                        living back in the sticks from either.....I'm an Archer of 3 years
                        both in the societey and out,and I'm a blacksmith of about 25 years...
                        ..T.E
                        <justin@...> wrote:

                        > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:14, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                        > > I'm looking for SCA related groups neer Old Washinton Ohio..
                        > > I'll be moving there in about 4 weeks....
                        >
                        > Depending on what county is your new home, you could live in
                        Alderford (which
                        > is, in turn, part of Brendoken), or you could live in Middle Marches.
                        >
                        > If it happens to be Alderford, I'm pleased to inform you that there
                        are several
                        > of us from that shire on this list. :-)
                        >
                        > Marche of Alderford http://alderford.org/
                        > Barony of Brendoken http://brendoken.org/
                        > Barony of Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/
                        >
                        > In any case, welcome to the area!
                        >
                        > Justin
                        >
                        > --
                        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

                        http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                          On Wednesday 07 March 2007 23:35, T.E.Dragon wrote:
                          > Old washington is on the eastern border of gurnsey county

                          You're in Middle Marches, then. However, you are welcome to also visit us
                          in the Marche of Alderford if you are so inclined.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
                            Quoth "Marcy":
                            > Yes, language/culture would be French.

                            I've learned it never pays to assume. :)

                            For the 14th-16th C, <Ysabel> is a fine choice - the 1292
                            census of Paris has <Ysabel>, <Ysabelon>, <Ysabiau>, <Ysabelot>,
                            and <Isabelot> [1], and tax rolls from Paris in 1421, 1423, and
                            1438 have <Isabel>, <Ysabeau>, <Ysabel>, and <Ysabelet>. [2] In
                            16th century Brittany, there's lots of diffferent spellings: [3]

                            Isabele 1531
                            Izabelle 1529, 1529
                            Y(s)abelle 1548
                            Ysabeau 1537
                            Ysabelle 1509, 1521
                            Yssabelle 1515
                            Yzabelle 1527, 1527, 1528, 1541, 1544, 1550

                            [1] http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

                            [2] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html

                            [3] http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

                            I haven't yet found a French example of <Marta> - though the
                            sources listed above have a similar name, <Martine>.

                            Source [2] has the surnames <Blanche>, <La Blanche>, and <Le
                            Blanc> (the first two are feminine forms, the latter masculine),
                            as well as <Bertran>. Source [1] has examples of <Bertran>,
                            <Bertrant>, and <Blanc> all as given names; since a common type
                            of byname in medieval France is the patronymic byname (where the
                            bearer uses her father's given name as her byname), any of these
                            three would also be fine choices for your byname.

                            And for the later part of your period, <Le Blanc> occurs in Paris
                            in 1571 (by this period, both men and women could have used this
                            form; in fact, all of the examples in this paragraph are of bynames
                            borne by women), <dite Le Blanc> 1581 'called the Blanc', and <Bertrand>
                            1547, 1577, 1612. [4]

                            [4] http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrenchsurnames.html

                            So, some form of your name is going to be appropriate for pretty much
                            all the period you're interested in, though the spellings may have
                            changed some depending on the period.

                            -Aryanhwy

                            --
                            vita sine literis mors est